1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Battery disconnect

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2020, 09:08 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by 3crows
Back to this. If the battery cables ( look to be ) are 4/0, is it wise to replace one for the disconnect switch with a 1 or 2 gauge AWS cable as suggested above by ol' grouch? Why then are the stock cables so big? I'm only cranking the engine over for 4 sec. or less to start my truck.

I just had a thought. (Really!) Something I've run across before a couple of times is, how clean is the battery? When they get some age on them, and the out gassing starts, it settles on the case, I've seen a trickle drain across the battery between the posts. I was a volunteer police officer for 10 years and part of the time I was the motor officer. Our unit cars would sit for long periods of time between fire calls or concerts. I started cleaning the battery tops evey couple of months and flat batteries became rare.

Quick Reply: Battery disconnect