1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Timing adjust after camshaft change

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 11:13 AM
fmcar81x
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing adjust after camshaft change

Good day everyone!, I installed this cam kit: HYDRAULIC: "Use in 340-360 street machine. Dual exhaust, 3.55-3.91 gear, 9:1 compression. Headers and aftermarket intake, 2500 stall" with the following specs:

on my 360 engine, I was wondering if its necessary to modify the timing, and if it does, what is the correct timing i need to adjust?

Old 02-21-2020, 05:52 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

well, I can say you WON'T be going by the underhood sticker any more. the only way to figure out what youre asking, is by experimentation.
The same engine, with the same cam in a light little Duster vs in a big 4wd truck, will like different setups. gearing, auto or stick, altitude where you live and more will help tell what the engine will "like" best. also all Mopar distributors for a given engine aren't calibrated the same.... different amounts of mechanical advance, the vacuum advance cans are different (there is a number stamped on the arm of the vac advance) Throw a different distributor in there (even though they may "look" identical) and that will change things. What carb? What intake manifold? (not all are the same) Low rise? High rise? Air gap? OE? Aftermarket? Can I at least assume 4 barrel carb? I'd guess some kind of Edelbrock intake, but a Performer vs a Street Master vs an SP-2P, vs aTorker340, or an LD-340, will all make the same engine act different. What kind of carb? Vac secondary, mechanical secondary, double pumper???
with the info you give, that's a start/ but not enough info to answer your question. you said 360... stock pistons? Flat tops? What heads? All plays into what your combo will like.

Old 02-25-2020, 07:44 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm running 8 degrees advance, but I have a different cam, and different setup. I have a 360 Magnum, decked, twenty over, stock stroke. EQ monster Magnum heads, Eddy duel plane intake, Eddy 650 carb. Cam is a VooDoo .258/.268 duration with .501/.524 lift 112lsa. Hed-man long tube headers 2400 stall. I was running 11.4:1 CR I'm dropping CR down to 10:1 I'll have to play with timing again. Also depends on what octane gas you plan on running. I was running 89 octane, no pinging, easy starts, pulled like a freight train. Higher octane will allow you to run more advance.

Old 02-26-2020, 06:41 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 362 Likes on 340 Posts

on my 360 engine, I was wondering if its necessary to modify the timing, and if it does, what is the correct timing i need to adjust?
I am assuming this is an LA motor not magnum??? Magnum the timing is adjusted by the pcm. Unless you have it set up to run off a carb.

Quick Reply: Timing adjust after camshaft change