1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Freeze plugs

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 05:19 PM
Datacom1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freeze plugs

Ok, I have coolant leaking from the bell housing. I am expecting it to be one of the freeze plugs. My question, would it be easier to drop the transmission or to pull the engine in order to replace the ones on the back of the engine?

Old 07-20-2020, 06:56 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Datacom1
Ok, I have coolant leaking from the bell housing. I am expecting it to be one of the freeze plugs. My question, would it be easier to drop the transmission or to pull the engine in order to replace the ones on the back of the engine?

Generally, I like to pull the engine. Especially if you can remove the radiator support. This goes double if you have a 4X4. While you have it out, it would be a good time to flush the block. You'd be surprised how much rust and sand will come out. Be sure to replace ALL the expansion plugs since if one is rotten, others aren't far behind. While it's out, if you have over 100K on the engine, put a new timing set in it along with a high volume oil pump. Do NOT put a high pressure pump in. It will wash the bearings out. High volume will compensate for worn bushings. Get an engine stand and clean the engine up and maybe replace the valve cover gaskets and anything else it might need that is a bear to get to in the truck.

Old 07-20-2020, 07:03 PM
Datacom1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Generally, I like to pull the engine. Especially if you can remove the radiator support. This goes double if you have a 4X4. While you have it out, it would be a good time to flush the block. You'd be surprised how much rust and sand will come out. Be sure to replace ALL the expansion plugs since if one is rotten, others aren't far behind. While it's out, if you have over 100K on the engine, put a new timing set in it along with a high volume oil pump. Do NOT put a high pressure pump in. It will wash the bearings out. High volume will compensate for worn bushings. Get an engine stand and clean the engine up and maybe replace the valve cover gaskets and anything else it might need that is a bear to get to in the truck.
thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply: Freeze plugs