1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Jack Location for 1983 D250?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2020, 12:44 PM
James Jamie Soule
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Jack Location for 1983 D250?

Have not found my jack yet - tools are under the hood, li.e lug wrench and collapsable jack actuating rod - where would my jack be? Is it up in spare tire or perhaps mine is long gone . . . where did Dodge store jack in 1983? Thanks

Last edited by James Jamie Soule; 09-05-2020 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-05-2020, 01:05 PM
James Jamie Soule
Professional

Google search tells me that its a bottle jack located under overflow tank in engine bay (no wonder, quite hidden from view) - truck is at a shop, hope to confirm this location next week, always good to have a jack when you are on the road- since bottle jack, jack points must be on axle locations.

Last edited by James Jamie Soule; 09-05-2020 at 01:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Blue Rebel (09-06-2020)
Old 09-06-2020, 03:58 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by James Jamie Soule
Have not found my jack yet - tools are under the hood, li.e lug wrench and collapsable jack actuating rod - where would my jack be? Is it up in spare tire or perhaps mine is long gone . . . where did Dodge store jack in 1983? Thanks

The jacks are usually located on the passenger side fenderwell. I have seen them under the passenger seat also. The factory tool s will work, they are just not the most efficient. Get yourself a 4 way lug wrench that has one socket end that will fit your lug nuts. There are metric and SAE wrenches. You want SAE and when you find the end that fits your lug nuts, wrap a little electrical tape around the shaft near the end. This way, when you have a flat in the rain at 2 in the morning, it's less time to change the tire when you can find the correct socket.

Old 09-06-2020, 04:14 PM
James Jamie Soule
Professional

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
The jacks are usually located on the passenger side fenderwell. I have seen them under the passenger seat also. The factory tool s will work, they are just not the most efficient. Get yourself a 4 way lug wrench that has one socket end that will fit your lug nuts. There are metric and SAE wrenches. You want SAE and when you find the end that fits your lug nuts, wrap a little electrical tape around the shaft near the end. This way, when you have a flat in the rain at 2 in the morning, it's less time to change the tire when you can find the correct socket.
Thanks Ol Grouch, great tip! I own a few gorilla lug wrenchs - they have that long sliding sleeve to provide a breaker bar effect. One of the first things I do with any old vehicle is remove lugnuts to grease and tighten so that I do not find out on the road that the old lugs are seized up and non removable! Good times . .

Old 09-06-2020, 10:09 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by James Jamie Soule
Thanks Ol Grouch, great tip! I own a few gorilla lug wrenchs - they have that long sliding sleeve to provide a breaker bar effect. One of the first things I do with any old vehicle is remove lugnuts to grease and tighten so that I do not find out on the road that the old lugs are seized up and non removable! Good times . .

I loosen and retighten when I get a vehicle just in case someone used an impact wrench to tighten them. I'll zip a nut down but torque them with a torque wrench if I have time. I'll admit to often using the Gudentite method too. I got in a contest once with a friend to see who could get to 100 Ft. Lbs by hand. Him and his son were way off. I was at 97. Then again, I'm old and have been doing it for 50+ years.

Quick Reply: Jack Location for 1983 D250?