1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear End, To change or Not to change.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2021, 10:59 PM
Polye86_RoyalSE
Rookie
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Rear End, To change or Not to change.

So seeing as my truck is going to end up with a fresh motor and transmission in the months to come, I got to thinking if I should pay any attention to the rear end.

I’m starting with an 8 3/8? with what I suspect is 3.55’s inside, but would like to stretch the gears out some for highway use. As well as delete the one wheel peel action I’ve got going on. So I was thinking of upgrading to a Trac-Lok / aftermarket rebuildable lsd and changing the final drive out.

Anyone care to chime in on the basics of picking the parts? From what I can tell I simply buy the diff that fits my housing/ spline count, and buy a corresponding ring and pinion in my preferred ratio. Assemble, measure, install, drive?

Last edited by Polye86_RoyalSE; 02-07-2021 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-07-2021, 08:51 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 352 Likes on 331 Posts

my truck is going to end up with a fresh motor and transmission in the months to come
Are you putting in a 727? I think going with a A500/46rh would give you overdrive and eliminate the need for new gears.You would have to move the trans mount back and shorten the drive shaft. You still could put a limited slip in the rear.

Old 02-07-2021, 09:27 AM
00t444e
Captain
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

3.55s are great for highway use. For traction you can just put a Spartan, Lock Right or Aussie locker in the open carrier.

The following users liked this post:
Polye86_RoyalSE (02-07-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 09:30 AM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

being an 86, and built before Dodge started using overdrive/ I am doubting your 3.55s (though it is entirely possible, Dodge did use that ratio for years) I'm thinking you have more like 2.94-maybe 3.23. could be as low as 2.76. if the tag that was bolted under 1 of the rear cover bolts is no longer there, the ratio is stamped on the ring gear within the rear end. and it is entirely possible to add a Track Lok to your current rear end.

The following users liked this post:
Polye86_RoyalSE (02-20-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 10:12 AM
Polye86_RoyalSE
Rookie
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
Are you putting in a 727? I think going with a A500/46rh would give you overdrive and eliminate the need for new gears.You would have to move the trans mount back and shorten the drive shaft. You still could put a limited slip in the rear.
Nah, just going through the A-999 enough to freshen it up, and repair a couple leaks. I actually like the three speed with lock up converter, just trying to drop my cruise rpm a bit, and have functional traction for bad weather, loose surfaces. Swapping to a trans that requires fab work isn’t really what I’m looking for on this truck.

Originally Posted by 00t444e
3.55s are great for highway use. For traction you can just put a Spartan, Lock Right or Aussie locker in the open carrier.
Thanks! I’ll look into those and see what they offer. And don’t get me wrong I like the ratio in there now, I just travel in areas where the majority flow of traffic’s 45-80 and would like to be sitting closer to 1750-1800rpm at 65mph instead of 2500rpm +/-

Originally Posted by volaredon
being an 86, and built before Dodge started using overdrive/ I am doubting your 3.55s (though it is entirely possible, Dodge did use that ratio for years) I'm thinking you have more like 2.94-maybe 3.23. could be as low as 2.76. if the tag that was bolted under 1 of the rear cover bolts is no longer there, the ratio is stamped on the ring gear within the rear end. and it is entirely possible to add a Track Lok to your current rear end.
Yeah, I know I don’t have overdrive. I’ve got the A999 with the lock up converter, part throttle unlock, and heavy duty extension housing. Below is the ratios chart. And since I didn’t want to open the rear end to “know for sure” I just mathed it and figure it’s probably 3.55 based from shift mph from 1st to 2nd.
As far as adding anything to my current, I may still do that. Just seeing what conventional wisdom is floating around. Plus since I’m already in there and have never liked the rpm at 65-70 figured longer final drive might be nice.

as a side note from what I can tell, unless I want to scroll the local yards it’s about the same price to buy all new parts as it’s be to buy a unit somewhere online? Anyone have any retailer recommendations?

Last edited by Polye86_RoyalSE; 02-07-2021 at 07:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear End, To change or Not to change.