1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ticking, vibrations and bog... oh my!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2021, 10:18 PM
ram1987
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking, vibrations and bog... oh my!

hey all! I got a little problem that i need to figure out.

So I been trying to resurrect this old dodge. The dist. was toast on it, carb was roached. wouldn't stay running for more than a few seconds. I replaced it with an hei dist. and blaster ss coil and rebuilt the carb 2bbl. It would start now but I couldn't get timing to hold. The timing chain had a whole lot of slack in it so i replaced it. The bottom of the engine/tranny were covered in oil so I replaced the oil pan gasket. And also the oil pump & rear seal while I was at it.

But now i'm having some issues.

1. It starts and idles just fine now but I hear this strange ticking/knock sound coming from the back of the oil pan/bell housing/starter area. Its not constant and is noticable at low rpms. When truck starts sometimes i hear it, another times I don't. Also i noticed if its not knocking in park, put it into drive and the sound starts... then put it back into park and sound continues.

2. revving in park is normal but when i'm in gear it often feels like its bogged down and might die. after it switches to 2nd the throttle is more responsive.

3. without touching the gas the truck gets up to 15mph when in drive. It also has a noticable vibration (joult) when comming to a stop. its feels engine/tranny related not brake related.

So i'm trying to figure out what to do next. This is the first time i've done any work on this scale but was patient and steady the whole way. But im not perfect and mistakes happen. I was going to try changing the tranny fluid and filter. could the torque converter cause this ticking sound? When i had the oil pan off nothing seemed loose, a little sludge in the bottom of the pan but no metal and was otherwise clean. Also i heard the sound before i dropped the pan so i dont think it was something i did.

Dodge D150 1982

Old 04-23-2021, 06:21 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 389 Likes on 366 Posts

Have a look at the access cover to the converter, I have had them make noise before. Wouldn't hurt to remove it and look at the converter bolts/flex plate. What is the idle speed? If it's to high the vehicle will move on it's own. Accelerator pump working on the carb?

Old 04-25-2021, 12:34 PM
ram1987

Originally Posted by Moparite
Have a look at the access cover to the converter, I have had them make noise before. Wouldn't hurt to remove it and look at the converter bolts/flex plate. What is the idle speed? If it's to high the vehicle will move on it's own. Accelerator pump working on the carb?
Well I'm not sure what the ticking sound was but it seems to have vanished. I took that cover off, everything looks tight so i reinstalled starter without the plate and no more ticking sounds. the plate looks fine so maybe it's starter related? i may put on another starter when i reinstall the cover. (when first got truck the started did stick cranking once engine started a time or 2. hasn't done it since i just figured i overheated it trying to start the truck.)

I can see gas shooting when i press throttle so accelerator pump is working i believe. When I put distributor on I set timing to about 12 degrees BTDC. Idle is around 750-800 fast idle 1500. I may just do the transmission filter first before i continue. Going from 1->2 for the first time it shakes pretty good till everything warms up well.

Edit: Thanks for the tips!

Old 05-08-2021, 11:07 PM
ram1987

Some reason my posts don't show here till over 2 months after I submit post. Anyway, Thanks guys. Got this all taken care of awhile ago.

Last edited by ram1987; 07-14-2021 at 12:42 PM. Reason: late posts

Quick Reply: Ticking, vibrations and bog... oh my!