1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

93 30 Gal Tank on 88

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 11:18 AM
Maki
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 30 Gal Tank on 88

My 22gal was leaking from the rubber grommet and I ended up just taking the bed off for easier access (Brake Lines, Shocks are getting redone, and frame is wire brushed and waiting to be painted), and I found a 93 for a good deal so I picked it up, not realizing that the sending unit was different for the later years. On doing a google search, it *seems* that I could just get the 93 sending unit and change the pigtail for it to work, except that there is no place for the fuel return, as the 93's were fuel injected and my 88 is carbureted. The 93 SU is supposed to regulate the pressure so the return line isn't needed (can anyone verify?) so I guess the return line would just be capped off?

If anyone knows of any decent guides for this where it's been discussed, please let me know. Trying to make sure it'll all play nicely before I start pulling off the old tank.

Old 04-26-2021, 11:26 AM
Maki
Amateur

First picture you can see the 88 Assembly, second the 30 gal tank with the screw on ring for the assembly.

Old 04-26-2021, 10:23 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

your truck is actually fuel injected and not carbed. you can either buy a new sending unit with a return line or ad one to the current sending unit.

Old 04-26-2021, 10:56 PM
Maki
Amateur

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
your truck is actually fuel injected and not carbed. you can either buy a new sending unit with a return line or ad one to the current sending unit.
Ah, I didn't know that. I was told it was a carb and I haven't started digging around on the engine itself aside from the power steering pump to learn that. I didn't get the sender from the 93 but I know they are abundant online, so I'll go that route. Thanks!

Quick Reply: 93 30 Gal Tank on 88