1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1987 Dodge Ram D150 Fuel Tank

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2022, 08:37 AM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

My son put a tank out of a long bed into his short bed without issue.

Old 02-21-2022, 01:45 PM
u2slow
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by volaredon
My son put a tank out of a long bed into his short bed without issue.
Can you confirm the details of tank size and cab size?

I'm looking to shorten a longbed and the fuel tank is a problem any which way I look at at.

Old 02-23-2022, 10:04 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

You might have the 30 gallon tank I know the 20 gallon tank will fit either long or short beds
His truck was a bit older, an 80 stepside 2wd (short bed of course)
I got a tank from a 79 w150 long bed (4wd) and it went right in.

I've also had several 87-96 Dakota's. And they came with 17 gallon and 22 gallon tanks. I've put 22 gallon tanks in trucks that came with 17 gallon tanks 3 times over the years.
Same straps, same fuel pump/sending unit.
I've also put a tank from an 84 long bed D150 into a 83 short bed before with no problem.

Last edited by volaredon; 02-23-2022 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-24-2022, 12:44 AM
u2slow
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I guess that's it... the only plastic dodge tanks I have are 30+ gallon.

Old 09-29-2024, 06:00 PM
Seax440Dodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sw indiana

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
The parts yard I went to has several. Unless you're going to be in the S.W. Indiana area anytime soon though, it's a prohibitive distance from you.
I know this is an old thread... But I'm looking for a tank and I'm in southern indiana.... Which yard was it?

Old 09-29-2024, 06:32 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Seax440Dodge
I know this is an old thread... But I'm looking for a tank and I'm in southern indiana.... Which yard was it?

Where in Indiana are you? I'm in Evansville so the yards I go to are all here. Three local yards that might have it are Glisson's U-pull on St. Joe ave, (There's another Glisson's that deals in newer stuff), Universal Salvage and Red Bank auto parts. I know of a couple of yards in other parts of Southern Indiana.

Old 09-29-2024, 06:45 PM
Seax440Dodge

Where in Indiana are you? I'm in Evansville so the yards I go to are all here. Three local yards that might have it are Glisson's U-pull on St. Joe ave, (There's another Glisson's that deals in newer stuff), Universal Salvage and Red Bank auto parts. I know of a couple of yards in other parts of Southern Indiana.
I'm right off I64, almost exactly half way between Louisville and Evansville. Been a while since ive been to glisson's self pull, (they didn't have much for trucks). Jones' in Orleans says they have a 30 gal... The tank i have has a big *** dent in it, looks like someone did a top rope elbow drop on it. I'd like something with a little higher capacity (I'm putting a 440 in a d150 w/ an a833 and 3.55's...when this same engine was in a b body w/ a 727 and 3.23's it was mighty thirsty). For a while i was considering 1st gen mustang tank mounted like a ramcharger tank with an access for filling in the bed

​​

Last edited by Seax440Dodge; 09-29-2024 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-29-2024, 06:59 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

I'm right off I64, almost exactly half way between Louisville and Evansville. Been a while since ive been to glisson's self pull, (they didn't have much for trucks). Jones' in Orleans says they have a 30 gal... The tank i have has a big *** dent in it, looks like someone did a top rope elbow drop on it. I'd like something with a little higher capacity (I'm putting a 440 in a d150 w/ an a833 and 3.55's...when this same engine was in a b body w/ a 727 and 3.23's it was mighty thirsty). For a while i was considering 1st gen mustang tank mounted like a ramcharger tank with an access for filling in the bed

​​
I don't have his number off hand but Mike Zeller had all sorts of old parts years ago. Mostly Mopars but the last time I was up there he was getting newer stuff. Why not just use a plastic (not metal) Ramcharger/Trailduster tank? I replaced one once and didn't realize how BIG it was. When I was filling it, I started looking underneath to see if gas was running out. It took 38 1/2 gallons. It's a 40 gallon tank. You take the In-37 exit and head along the south side of I-64 then under it and up a hill. You almost expect to her dueling banjos heading in the woods. Be sure to take tick repellent.

Old 09-29-2024, 07:05 PM
Seax440Dodge

I don't have his number off hand but Mike Zeller had all sorts of old parts years ago. Mostly Mopars but the last time I was up there he was getting newer stuff. Why not just use a plastic (not metal) Ramcharger/Trailduster tank? I replaced one once and didn't realize how BIG it was. When I was filling it, I started looking underneath to see if gas was running out. It took 38 1/2 gallons. It's a 40 gallon tank. You take the In-37 exit and head along the south side of I-64 then under it and up a hill. You almost expect to her dueling banjos heading in the woods. Be sure to take tick repellent.
I'm on first name basis with mike (i grew up 5 miles from west fork) i was trying to avoid the ticks 😆 especially since most of your pullaparts these days will have whatever you're after yanked and ready for you

Old 09-29-2024, 10:32 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

I'm on first name basis with mike (i grew up 5 miles from west fork) i was trying to avoid the ticks 😆 especially since most of your pullaparts these days will have whatever you're after yanked and ready for you

Fun going up that narrow road, isn't it? I've got a tree farm that has the same tick problem. I'm trying to remember what repellent I use because it works so well. Cutter doesn't seem to bother them. Universal might pull the part for you if they have it but Glisson's, the one most likely to have a truck like you need, is pure you pull it. They rarely pull anything once it's out in the yard. They have a late model yard, but you want the older yard. They have a fairly quick turn over in parts so if you see what you need, pull it then.

Quick Reply: 1987 Dodge Ram D150 Fuel Tank