1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What transmission did I actually buy...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2023, 02:45 PM
Dinkleburg238
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What transmission did I actually buy...

Hi all, so I recently picked up a transmission for my 91 d150 5.2. I ran into an issue with my valve body and it was a hard find since I recently found out my truck was a 2-pin non lockup transmission. After some looking I found a listing for a '90 46rh (I know technically in 90 it was a 518 but that's how the seller listed it), and it did come out of a '90 truck as he still had it sitting there. After inspecting it, the case looked identical, trans pan is an A518 pan and it also has the 2-pin connector indicating non-lockup. To everything I could tell it appears to be the right transmission.

The issue i ran into was I had purchased a new torque converter for my old transmission and wanted to of course use it instead of the one the new transmission came with however the new torque converter does not fit the new transmission. It does fit my old... I've counted the splines and everything matches...

I know the casing stamps don't mean much but the outside of my old is stamped 4471577R and the new is 064-2. Best I could find is the 064 stamped type may be a newer? 94+ ish. However I was under the impression they only used non-locking transmissions 90-91.5, so how could this be a 2 pin and 94+?

I thought maybe someone just used a new case for old parts, but then why is the torque converter different? Best guess from pictures is the torque converter it came with is a 94+ style too as it has the wider slices in the shaft housing which goes transmission side...

Anyone have any idea what the heck transmission I bought lol? Or perhaps even if it'll work on my truck since it is a 2-pin non-lockup even if it is a newer case and internals?

The trans I bought also was rebuilt in 03, the Mopar placard I found on the side.

Old 03-13-2023, 05:20 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

google shows that part number possibly being a a500 which is based on the 904 and not the a518 you were looking for. the a518 is based on a 727. they use a different torque converter which is likely why yours is not fitting it. also coming out of a 90 truck it would also make more sense that it is a a500.

Old 03-13-2023, 05:54 PM
Dinkleburg238

So I saw that too and thought I was being an idiot and mis-identified the pan gasket when I looked at it before buying it thinking it had the A518 bump-out but when I looked again it definitely looks like it uses the A518 gasket

I also thought ok maybe someone changed a 3-pin to 2-pin to make it work at some point however looking at the input shaft, it doesn't have the machined portion nor pin for a locking converter, least I think I'm looking at a non-locking shaft?

The only visible difference on the cases between mine and this one, besides the case stamp of course, is this notch taken out of the bell housing, mind does not have this notch. Now I'll be the first to admit that mine may be the one wrong for a '91 since it's kind of a bastard truck from before I had it but I thought this notch was indicative of a '94+ maybe but then I didn't think they did non-lockup past '92, I could be wrong on that too...

I'm fairly certain that even if I do figure out the exact year and model this transmission really is I couldn't find anyone still selling non-locking torque converters anyway...at this point I'm just trying to be more informed on what I have...

I'll probably also just end up slapping it in and trying it if no one here has any idea what this is and if it might work, but I figured before I waste all my time trying to put it in only to find out it doesn't work I'd ask those smarter than me lol

Old 03-14-2023, 11:57 AM
u2slow
Professional
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Are there casting marks with a year in them?

I'm not an auto guy, but have read that the diesel 727 and diesel a518 torque convertors are the same. Is that possibly the same with gas transmissions?

Old 03-14-2023, 03:14 PM
Dinkleburg238

Well I feel I've been a bit of an idiot...

I went out to check for more stamps/codes etc. and I checked the torque converters and had a brain fart of which went to which trans so I went to put each on to find out and this time around both TCs went on both transmissions...so they are apparently the same style converter just a bit of a pain to get them to line up properly

the visible difference that lead me to believe there was a problem when I couldn't initially get them to go on the other trans is the notches at the hub side are wider on the trans I bought than the one from my truck but maybe that doesn't matter? picture for reference of notches

the following are also the only stamps I found on the OD case, couldn't locate any on the transmission itself

I'll be honest I've no idea what they mean...

Last edited by Dinkleburg238; 03-14-2023 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-14-2023, 04:16 PM
u2slow
Professional
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

93 is the casting year.

Edit: some googling suggests the crank sensor (and bellhousing notch) is from a magnum-era engine. TBI used a cam sensor instead.

Last edited by u2slow; 03-14-2023 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-14-2023, 06:33 PM
Dinkleburg238

Ahhh good point on the bell housing notch, further reinforces the whole trans being from '93 rather than just maybe the OD unit. So I guess someone replaced the transmission on the 1990 truck it came out of with a newer version and the fact there was no sensor in the notch I had no idea what it was for lol.

So I guess really was there any actual difference in the torque converters for an a518 from '91 compared to one for a '93? Like I said they both actually do fit unlike I thought, just the hub shaft notches are bigger on the '93 compared to my '91 so I was worried that might cause issues

Quick Reply: What transmission did I actually buy...