1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Project D150 Update 09/12

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 09:53 PM
imstock
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project D150 Update 09/12

I started by pulling the plugs individually to check for symptoms. Nothing out of the ordinary besides a small trace amount of oil on the threads, and a white color on the tip. Seems it could either be to lean (spark burning to hot) or to rich (leaving carbon deposits which burn off, unlikely). Leaning more torwards it running to lean (hence the surging and severe loss of power).

I then began the proccess of elimination at the most likely of sources, the fuel filter. Took out the old one and performed the over so classical 'blow-test' using a handy Mickey D's straw and it had some resistance. It got replaced (for $10 it couldn't hurt). Well after new one was installed I cranked her up and she surged, figured it may be starving due to no gas in the line so I let her stall-out and did it again. She ran alright for awhile, then chocked and stalled again.

I took off the air cleaner and lef tthe throttle nude and rolled it over again. Same outcome. Well that means that she is definatly getting oxygen at least, but leaves me to check over several small fuel parts under the hood.

I am done for today but will check out the FPR and some other misc fuel related peices under the hood so I can either assure myself that its not fuel (potentially valves and what-not internal) or the problem is fixed by replacing a FPR, etc...

Any input thus far?

Old 09-13-2006, 12:27 AM
dergani
Rookie
Default RE: Project D150 Update 09/12

sounds like you are moving right along. I have mine tore up right now (entire front except left fender and splash guard is gone) and am replacing wiring and swapping parts out. I am stuck on a few thing as I am waiting for money and a few tools.

Old 09-15-2006, 02:32 AM
outlaws318
Professional

Is it still having problems after changing the fuel filter? I have my new one, but I havn't put it on yet.

Old 09-15-2006, 11:17 AM
imstock
Rookie

Yea, as it says above it needed done, but didnt solve the problem.

Old 10-03-2006, 01:53 AM
ram_tough

Are you having problems with the truck? This is going to sound strange but I had some problems with mine a few months ago (1992 D-150 318 Magnum). It was missing and backfiring. I gave it a good tune up and it didn't resolve the problem. My neighbor is a tech for Honda but he works at a Dodge Dealer. He came over and told me my problem was my ignition coil before we even tested it. Sure enough the truck died and would not start again so I changed the coil and it was like new!!! He said that when a coil has a short in it it will act like a fuel problem and miss and backfire. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Project D150 Update 09/12