1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Motor Flush ? is it Good

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 05:27 PM
Captchnk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Flush ? is it Good

Howdy, this is my first time. I just purchased a 90 Dodge D-150 V-6 with 138K miles on it. or so I think. Just brought it home, looks like it had been rode hard and put up wet. I plan to give it a little bit of tlc and some bring back. I was looking at that Motor Flush by "Gunk" and it says to run it for 5 min then drain,,but if over 100K miles, then to take of the oil pan and clean the pan and screen?? is that easy to do. My mechanical knowledge is pretty much oil draining,, come tune up stuff... this Truck is giving me the Engine 101 kind of a crash course. But Any help would be greatly appreciated!! and any tips,as well.

Old 09-20-2006, 07:44 PM
dergani
Rookie
Default RE: Motor Flush ? is it Good

I dont know but a friend of mine bought a older cadillac and took it to a shop to be tuned up. They convinced him the engine could use a flush to get the gunk out and ended up ruining his engine. He threatened to sue and they bought him a new engine.

Old 09-21-2006, 07:18 PM
silverram99
Captain

Here's the deal with motor flushes. They work very well, almost too good. There are often tiny grooves in the cylinder walls that are filled with "gunk" and they will actually become part of what makes your rings seal. So when you flush your motor you run the risk of washing out those grooves and that can cause you to loose your ring seal. It is important to follow the instructions on the flush. Most of them tell you to run it 5 minutes, like you said, do not run the engine up off of idle, trust me this stuff will circulate just fine. Then you can drain the oil, and if you want wash the pan out clean/replace the oil pump screen. I'm not really familiar with your truck, but removing the oil pan isn't usually that tough. Whether you choose that step or not, you need to get the oil/flush mixture out of the engine, I would suggest doing while the oil is still hot because that will make it thinner and easier to get all that flush out. It is wicked stuff. Anyways whatver you decide to do good luck.

Old 09-21-2006, 07:49 PM
Captchnk

Thank yall for your input! I think I will just change the oil and give her a tune up! Thanks again!

Old 09-21-2006, 10:11 PM
dergani
Rookie

might be a good idea to just change the oil if you dont know alot about engines. Go to your local parts store and buy a Haynes manual for your truck and start reading. you will be suprised what you can learn. You can really do almost everything on your truck yourself,provided you have the right tools. Thats the part that stops alot of people.

Old 09-27-2006, 04:24 AM
robert97dodge
Professional

I have always heard bad stuff about using motor flush. I would just replace the oil with a good oil and then about 1K miles later do it again. Over time the oil will basically clean it self and get rid of most of the loose build up and stuff in the motor.

Old 10-03-2006, 01:26 AM
ram_tough

I have a 1992 Ram D150 with 193,000 or so ,miles on it. I bought it a couple of years ago and like you I wanted to clean the engine up so I did a lot of research on it. I am fairly mechanicly inclined but was not sure about an engine with this many original miles on it. As I was researching the idea of an oil flush I read exactly as silverram99 stated. Do not do an oil flush unless you plan on tearing down the motor and replaceing all the seals. A good tune up and a few oil changes within 1,000 miles of each other with some good oil lube like Lucas is all I did and my truck runs great!! Also the Haynes manual is a good investment. It has better detail than most that I have seen. Good Luck!

Old 10-04-2006, 05:46 PM
Captchnk

Perfect, Thank you very much for the input, that is exactly what I shall do! thanks again!

Quick Reply: Motor Flush ? is it Good