1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

building 318 to 390?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 04:39 PM
madcow
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building 318 to 390?

I have a 89 w 100 4 wheel drive. right now it is a fine little truck for being paid for. I cant get a new truck until the wife gets her new vehicle paid for. So I am making a 390 out of the 318. has anyone done this and is there anything I should watch out for? I already ordered headers and a mopar cam. going to piece it together over the summer. by late summer hope to have some pics and results. if noone has done this I will make a diys section. I just figured my truck should have more hp than the snowmobile. I need a little more power for some of the hills we pull are short and steep. about a 1/2 mile to a couple milesof pretty steep grade. I mean wind her out in first gear with 5 sleds in steep. the other thing is that most of the guys I run with have new 35000 dollars 6 liter chevys pulling snowmobile trailers. this should have a lot more hp and torque in a lot lighter body. and with the price of buying the truck a couple years ago and all the money i have stuck into it I still wont have 6 grand total. and with out of pocket no interest it is pretty cheap compared to my friends that will pay more than 6 grand in interest on there new trucks.

Old 02-28-2007, 01:54 PM
madcow
Default RE: building 318 to 390?

did a lot of research and have found out for about 2-3 grand depending on brand parts and how you buy stuff it can be done. these motors look to make an easy 350 hp and 400+ torque. with the big valve heads and a little port matching 400+ hp and almost 500 torque is not hard.
I ordered a mopar 1500-6500 camshaft with the stroker the cam will mild out some. and also ordered a 150 dollars header set that fits the 4 wheel drive. next month I will be getting the manifold and rest of the exhaust.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:43 AM
Jeffmarble
Rookie

sounds like a good build try speedomotive i think there kits are around 1500 but the generally only use high quality parts with the mopar cam u should probably run a torker 2 manifold with the matching valve springs youll need a higher stall converter to those headers u bought i have the same fits 2 and 4wd trucks there alil rough from all brands summit etc(have summits) seem to always come to close to the oil pan and there not straight comin off the block on the right side dip down to the left youll need to bend alil to get it nice and has for heads u probably are already using swirl port heads keep them and polish them with 2.02 1.60's should flow great i also assume youll run a carb instead of the tbi set up keep in mind a new 750 or 850 carb is always 350 up new(recommended) btw dont forget to put that motor together before u install ur exhaust i ran it without mufflers coolest thing ever to hear that small block roar.id also recommend u paint ur engine bay before u install or atleast freshen it up i didnt and now i have a clean *** motor in a hagard engine bay(now its a pain to paint)

Old 03-19-2007, 04:22 PM
madcow

http://www.tliracing.com/mopar.html

this is the company I am going through for advice and some parts. going to go with 360 heads to help breath better on the exhaust. there is a local shop I can get some of the parts for a pretty good deal.
most deffinatly will be poweder coating every small part I can!! I do powder coating on the sleds so I am setup for it. the motor is being designed for a real low rpm so hopeing to use a low stall converter. the truck has low gears for the build as well so when the current tires get smoked off I will be going to a bigger wheels.

Quick Reply: building 318 to 390?