1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

new to dodge, and she wont start, help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 04:57 AM
monza1979
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to dodge, and she wont start, help?

ok so i pickrd up a 1981 power ram 250 with a 360 and a 4 speed for 300, pretty good condition except it wont start. now im new to the dodge scene and cant trouble shoot it as quickly as i could with say a chevy. now i don't know if it is a dodge thing but when i first got the truck it seemed the starter turned the motor prety slow compared to a chevy and now when i try and start it all i get is a click i know its not the battery cuz i've tried several. and i have no clue to what it is but there seems to be a metal box on the fenderwell that has a lead from the batery that was making some noise no clue to what that is or if it has anything to do with my starting problems. im going to try and replace the starter on friday if that is the case but any help would be greatly appreciated, again thanks for the patience new to the dodge game and so far im likeing it!!

Kevin
monza_1979@hotmail.com

Old 03-15-2007, 05:21 AM
monza1979
Default RE: new to dodge, and she wont start, help?

can anybody help me with this problem?

Old 03-15-2007, 05:38 PM
440ram
Professional

ok its probably the starter. what you can do is get a 15 dollar volt meter from wal-mart and check voltage at the SMALL wire lead on the starter and have someone else try to start it, on dodges power is always hot at the starter lead and the starter solenoid/bendix on top of the starter receives voltage when you try to start the motor. if the starter assembly is bad you can get a lightweight starter from 440source.com, thats what i did.

since the starter big lead always has power you can also jump that to the smaller lead with a screwdriver to bypass the ignition switch, if the starter assembly is good and voltage at the big wire is present it should crank over

and to make sure the engine isn't locked up you can simply put a ratchet and socket on the crank pully nut to see if the motor will turn over

hope this will help and good luck

Old 03-16-2007, 04:39 AM
monza1979

thanks i will try this i know the motor is not locked it started for me when i first got it 3 weeks ago but now just a click. i will trywhat you told me greatly appreciated

Quick Reply: new to dodge, and she wont start, help?