1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel mileage!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 02:52 AM
nit4gudtime
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel mileage!!!!!

Ok i gotta 92 d350 auto. 4.10gears. When i bought this unit a couple years ago it use to get 19mpg on the highway. Now it gets 12mpg runnin empty, or pullin. I've done the overhead and fuel filter.. Anybody got any ideas why i'm not getting fuel mileage.. Thanks

Old 03-21-2007, 02:54 AM
nit4gudtime
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fuel mileage!!!!!

Forgot to mention the pump has been turned up about 3/4 turn, and the smoke valve( i guess thats what its called) turned bout the same. Also put a 12cm turbine housing

Old 03-21-2007, 12:02 PM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Fuel mileage!!!!!

Set the injection pump rack adjustment back to the factory setting.

On the older Cummins Rams it is usually much better to take it to a Cummins engine authorized shop called a Powerstore, rather than a Dodge dealership, because it will be rare for a Dodge tech to have been around enough years to have gotten the early training 15 years ago.

On the early all-mechanical Cummins B I6 diesel most fuel economy drops are caused either by:
low injection pressure from a worn pump (expensive to fix),
by injection timing being off (cheap to fix)
or by severe overfueling due to owner fiddling with adjustments (cheap to fix).

You can find authorized Cummins Powerstores in the Yellow Pages of the phone book, or by sending an message to Cummins through their website.

http://www.cummins.com/cmi/content.j...menuIndex=none

Quick Reply: Fuel mileage!!!!!