1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1999 Dodge Ram

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009 | 09:20 PM
Mikewp64
|
Default 1999 Dodge Ram

I have a 99 Dodge Ram with a 318. Several months ago the engine developed a strange Noise that I was told was Pre Detonation. The Check Engine light came on and it was discovered the piston in the Number 4 cyclinder had a hole burned in it. The truck only has roughly 55k miles on it so I decided to replace the motor. I bought a reman motor from a reputable company in Nashville Tn. After pulling the old motor the mechanic found oil in the intake and failed intake gasket. the new motor was installed, I also replaced the catalytic convertor. after driving the the truck for roughly 500 miles the same problem came back, Guess what,,,same problem,,,another burned piston. Engine was removed , this time the intake gasket had not failed and there was no oil present. Engine was shipped back to the company and after 2 weeks they said it was caused by Pre detonation,Second engine was shipped and installed. This time we had the intake check by a machine shop to ensure the bottom was not warped, it wasnt. All the injectors were checked before being re installed , after the motor was installed and running check engine light came on saying Faulty o2 sensor. it was changed. We took the truck to a Dodge Delearship and they did several updates to the computer and reset some settings per SB that were for the motor. I just picked up today and am somewhat scared to drive it in fear of ruining another motor. My question is do any of the issues I ahve described sound like a problem that would cause a burned piston?, The Repair shop that has done the work is very reputable and stood behind the motor, so I am not out any money other than the original cost of replacing the motor. Any Input would be Appreciated

Old 03-16-2009 | 12:33 AM
nim81
Record Breaker

who is the mod here? this should be moved to 2nd gen

Old 03-16-2009 | 09:18 PM
nemesis_SS
All Star

weve got moderators here in 1st gen?

Quick Reply: 1999 Dodge Ram