2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

A Few Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 10:10 PM
turfgrass
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Few Questions

Hey guys, I've had a 06 Dokata since Jan 06 and its coming time to turn it back in. I'm considering the Avenger either an SXT with a 4cyl or an R/T. I'm not really too concerned about the fuel mileage coming from the Dak which at best I get 19 on a highway trip. I was just curious as to what everyone's thoughts are on the engines and what kind of mileage are you guys getting? Also I test drove an SXT with the 4cyl and when you punch it the engine was pretty darn loud, I had the radio off but it was annoyingly load. It was fine when driving normal but punching it from 0-60 she screams, is the HO 6cyl in the R/T the same or no?

Thanks guys!!

Old 10-07-2007, 02:09 AM
futil
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: A Few Questions

I would totally recommend the R/T, It has a nice little kick of power when you need to pass people and is very quiet when accelerating. The Avenger is kind of heavy so I imagine the 4cyl engine was having a seizure trying to push it and hence the noise.

I'm not getting great gas mileage with my R/T but that is because of my aggressive driving style, Me using the wrong grade gas (I assumed that premium was the bestto use for a new car until I read the manual and premium was not recommended and will degrade performance), and running the AC all the time cause it has been quite hot here for the past month.. But with all that I get about 18 mpg on the highway, and 14 city.. I am sure there are lots of people in here that are getting way higher figures than me. Hopefully others will post their mpg because I really am a bad example

Old 10-11-2007, 11:40 AM
shicaca

I personally have the 4c and you're right it is loud as heck when you punch it.

That being said, seeing the gas mileage w/ the R/T, I'd almost rather have the 4c just for gas.

I personally get 23-31. I've only gotten 31 a time or two, and obviously it was all highway driving. I haven't been able to get that much highway in (just good spurts here-or-there) but I've never EVER been <23MPG even w/ stop-and-go, agressive driving city BS.

I also came from a pickup that got nothing better than 17, so it's greatly appreciated!

Old 10-14-2007, 03:40 AM
futil
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I changed my gas grade and tried my hardest not to drive like a tard and my mileage went up to 15 city / 23 hwy. The A/C was still on so I imagine it would be higher w/o it.. I'm sure that's still not the mileage that you guys were looking for but at least its a little better. I just put ina K&N air filter today so I'll have to see if there is any difference with that as well.. I did notice a torque difference especially from a dead stop but its really too early to tell since I haven't driven it much with the new filter.

Ill try to let you guys know if there is any noticeable difference mpg wisewith the filter installed afterI have been driving it for a while.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:44 AM
Barry626
Rookie

ORIGINAL: futil

I changed my gas grade and tried my hardest not to drive like a tard and my mileage went up to 15 city / 23 hwy. The A/C was still on so I imagine it would be higher w/o it.. I'm sure that's still not the mileage that you guys were looking for but at least its a little better. I just put ina K&N air filter today so I'll have to see if there is any difference with that as well.. I did notice a torque difference especially from a dead stop but its really too early to tell since I haven't driven it much with the new filter.
Don't be concern like I was!
I have the AWD which is rated 15 city. Which is exactly what I was getting up to 3000 miles.
Once I got my first oil change @ 3000 miles & changed my gas from 87 to 89 octane I now get 19 city.

Old 12-08-2007, 05:10 PM
needforsleep
Rookie

I love my 2.4L. I get about 26-28mpg with 50% hwy/city. With 100% highway driving while keeping it under 80MPH I get about 30mpg. Now, if you drive 55-65mpg you can get 34-36mpg easily with 100% highway with a warm engine (I've personally done this already).

All the cars I've owned in the past were 250HP-350HP cars and got about 18-22mpg at best. I'm really enjoying the better fuel economy and the 2.4L actually has decent HP but lacks torque but it can get out of it's own way. The hardest thing to get used to was the 4spd auto with funky torque converter control. The car drives like a 6spd with the huge torque converter changes during light throttle driving.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:09 PM
SueK
Professional

I like the sound of 4 cylinder. I like if I'm next to some old lady or an idiot driver, I just push the pedal to the floor and it scares them. Then I laugh. I know, I know, very childish for a woman my age. lol

Old 12-09-2007, 07:12 PM
SueK
Professional

ORIGINAL: needforsleep

I love my 2.4L. I get about 26-28mpg with 50% hwy/city. With 100% highway driving while keeping it under 80MPH I get about 30mpg. Now, if you drive 55-65mpg you can get 34-36mpg easily with 100% highway with a warm engine (I've personally done this already).

All the cars I've owned in the past were 250HP-350HP cars and got about 18-22mpg at best. I'm really enjoying the better fuel economy and the 2.4L actually has decent HP but lacks torque but it can get out of it's own way. The hardest thing to get used to was the 4spd auto with funky torque converter control. The car drives like a 6spd with the huge torque converter changes during light throttle driving.
Same here. Like you said about driving 55-65, I have no complaints about the mpg's.

Quick Reply: A Few Questions