2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

2011 Avenger rear end issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 02:25 PM
nicole@32
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Avenger rear end issue

So I have the 2011 Avenger Express that I bought about a month ago this is the 2nd Avenger Ive had the first was 08 so very familiar with them. The issue i have with this one is the rear end fishtails on snowy roads and also u notice it when you hit bigger bumps. It handles really bad on snowy roads. The tires are good that isnt the issue and it drives straight and fine down good roads no pulling nothing. I have read a couple articles of others having this issue and they have tried the alignments new tires and nothing was broke worn nothing so has anyone else had this issue and found a resolution to it???? I really dont have the money to just take it in and have a garage tell me nothings wrong. I loved my 2008 and drove it hard for 4 years till i totaled it hitting a deer and i never had any issues with it besides breaks and tires so i went with another one I hope i didnt make a mistake! I would just like to know how to get it fixed before i end up in the ditch as i live in Upper Michigan and winter is here!

Old 12-04-2013, 08:10 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

You may need to switch to a more aggressive tire tread for the rear tires, at least during snow season.

If my memory serves me right, the 2008 had a lower center of gravity in the rear....?

Old 12-05-2013, 12:20 PM
nicole@32

Yeah its going into the shop in a couple weeks to have an all 4 wheel alignment tires rotated and if I can swing it replacing the 2 cheap street tires on it which are on the front the 2 back ones are all purpose tire and are in good shape. Seems like tho the more weight in the rear the worse it is! If its just me and no weight seems to handle better. Guess ill find out when it goes in. And yeah there was something different in the rear on the 08's and whatever it was did great that car handled awesome this 11' not so much :/

Old 12-07-2013, 09:53 AM
r-g_richards
Rookie

Originally Posted by nicole@32
Yeah its going into the shop in a couple weeks to have an all 4 wheel alignment tires rotated and if I can swing it replacing the 2 cheap street tires on it which are on the front the 2 back ones are all purpose tire and are in good shape. Seems like tho the more weight in the rear the worse it is! If its just me and no weight seems to handle better. Guess ill find out when it goes in. And yeah there was something different in the rear on the 08's and whatever it was did great that car handled awesome this 11' not so much :/
When they do the 4 wheel alignment make sure that they add about 250# of weight in the truck otherwise the alignment will be done for nothing and may be worse. I know money is tight but snow tires do help with the Avenger.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:12 PM
r-g_richards
Rookie

One thing that a guy on another site I belong to, discovered if he turned his ESC off the car seems to always come back under control and if he turns it back on it goes crazy again. He said he has tried this out quite a few times with always the same result.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:16 PM
nicole@32

Thanks for the info you guys Ill have to test out shutting off the ESC seeing how we are supposed to get snow tonight

Quick Reply: 2011 Avenger rear end issue