2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

Problems with car?

Old 01-28-2014, 05:02 PM
msagnew2004
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with car?

So when it gets frigid here in Ohio (below 0) I have problems with my car. The ETC light turns on first thing in the morning. The idle is a bit loud and rough for about 5-10 minutes. I let the car sit for about 15 minutes, turn it off and back on, and its gone. I don't experience this on the freeway or anything like that - only when its frigid outside and first thing in the morning. Also, in the morning, my car takes an extremely long time to heat up. This is on the days with the ETC problem. I added antifreeze in October when my car started overheating. I'll admit, I had the car since 02/2012 and 10/2013 was the first time I've put antifreeze in it. IDK if my dealer does this when he changes the oil every 3 months, I doubt it though. After I added the antifreeze in October it went back to normal. Again, we started having arctic weather in October / November. It has been getting extreme out here. Would that play a part in antifreeze consumption? I read somewhere something about white smoke. There is white smoke when the car is warming up. I don't pay attention to after I start driving.

Engine: 2.4L
Model: SXT

Old 01-28-2014, 11:58 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ETC light can come on when the engine operating temp is too cold. The usual failure on the 2.4L avenger is the Thermostat housing and Thermostat. Check the area where the engine bolt up to the trans, on top of the trans, where the Thermostat housing is, see if you find trace of coolants.

But until you get your code read, you can't be sure.

Another common problem on your car is a bad throttle body. However, that usually accompany with acceleration problems and mis-fire.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Problems with car?