2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

08 Avenger unstable driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 10:56 AM
LAMOPAR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Avenger unstable driving

I have an 08 Avenger that when driving will randomly pull from one direction to another. Hitting wet spots causes it along with snow. Bumps are not better. I have replaced the Control arms with all new bushings in the front, new tie rod ends and ball joints. I followed this with a front end alignment and new tires. No change.

Some thoughts I have is the rack is failing and allowing the front to shift directions or there is something wrong in the rear suspension that is causing the problem. The front does not seem to bounce at all so I didn't think the front struts could be causing it.

I am open to looking at all ideas. At this point we won't drive the car as it is not safe.

Old 01-07-2017, 12:02 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I assume the suspension components are in good repair as they would have been checked pre alignment. How long ago was the work done?
post the alignment printout

has the car been in a collision?

does it feel like the directional change is the back sliding out or the front changing steering direction?
here are a couple possibilities:

improper rear toe setting cause the rear end to wander during slippery road conditions.
What condition are the rear tires in? How much tread and any irregular wear patterns.

bump steer causes a front steering directional change over bumps. google the term as it is a to much typing for me to explain.

Last edited by primem; 01-07-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:26 PM
LAMOPAR

Yes all the front end parts are new along with the tires. All the work has been done in the past two weeks. What I did find when I look under the car is the bolt that runs front to back in the lower control arm has movement. I know it is in a bushing but I wouldn't think I should be able to move it around. I am going to check and see if the frame is worn out allowing the bolt to shift in the framework.

Before the new tires the back were well but the front were worn badly. Drivers side from the middle to the inside and the passenger tire was worn evenly off.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:26 PM
primem
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by LAMOPAR
What I did find when I look under the car is the bolt that runs front to back in the lower control arm has movement. I know it is in a bushing but I wouldn't think I should be able to move it around. I am going to check and see if the frame is worn out allowing the bolt to shift in the framework.
this should have be found and repaired as part of the pre alignment check. if its got play, replace it.

Old 01-08-2017, 10:54 AM
LAMOPAR

Well I feel like a bone head as I found I had not completely tightened the bolts. I installed the lower control arms as a bushing had failed. I went back a week later and installed the ball joints and tie rod ends as they came as part of the kit. I had to lose the control arm to get the ball joints free and failed to re-tighten them. I am not sure if solved the entire problem but I have to believe it did. Can't check it right now as the there is ice everywhere and if it did not fix it we will be in a ditch. I was really surprised they did not notice the movement during the alignment. I will take the car back on Monday or Tuesday to ensure it is still good after I ensure the car is not floating around any more.

I was going to sell the car as we really don't need it but the car looks new still and runs great. I am really surprised how well the car has lasted. We bought a 2014 Avenger as well and it seems to be as good a car. Too bad they are not being made any more.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:08 AM
primem
Record Breaker

it happens. good find. Thanks for posting the fix.