2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

2012 Dodge Avenger SXT - TIPM

Old 09-25-2017, 03:05 PM
binarylogik
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Dodge Avenger SXT - TIPM

Hello All. I am making this post to help others that cannot find the information they are looking for as I could not regarding 2012 Dodge Avengers and TIPM replacement.

Symptoms I experienced:
  • Horn honking randomly and for prolonged periods with car on driving or off and parked.
  • Passenger windows rolled down by themselves
  • Passenger windows would not roll up sometimes
  • Keyless entry sometimes did not register or had 2-3 second delay between button push and unlocking/locking
  • Fuel Pump cutting in and out
  • Hazard lights turning on by themselves on by themselves during honking sessions
  • Horn would not work sometimes
  • Sometimes horn would not honk during arming
The first symptom was the delay in locking/unlocking, three weeks later the horn, windows and fuel pump. The fuel pump cut out on me on the highway which is incredibly dangerous and I will be seeking to add this car to the class action suite and the recall for TIPMs. Three days later all other symptoms started. I encourage anyone that finds themselves the victim of a possessed car to report the same. This is extremely dangerous.

The cause of my TIPM failure was a manufacture defect in sealing the circuit board of the TIPM. Numerous portions of the underside of the board were not coated, if the board had been coated completely this would have not been an issue. Where the coating was missing corrosion had occurred. This would also imply that the TIPM box was also allowing moisture in as well. If the box was well sealed, this would not have been an issue.

I was able to purchase a used TIPM from ebay with the same part number

4692346AD

I removed the old TIPM and installed the new TIPM. Do not start the car. I put the key in the ignition for 12 seconds in the on position. Turned the key off, and repeated a couple more times while watching the diagnostics count off the indicators. Started the car up and everything is fine.
I did NOT have to have it reprogrammed by the dealer. I have been driving the car now for 3 days with no problems.
I do not know if AB,AC.AD,AE are interchangeable. From what I have seen it appears AD/AE may be at the very least, but I cannot confirm. If someone can speak to the interchangability in this thread of the 4 with actual knowledge that will be very helpful.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:59 PM
cadillacdad1954
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Avenger Horn

I have a similar issue however my problem is only with the horn All other systems are working. The horn intermittently will honk for no reason while driving. Does not work sometimes when pressed and does not work when arming or disarming the car. Mechanic says possible clock spring issue, dealer says TIPM but wants $2,200 to fix. I can get a rebuilt on for under $400 and mechanic wants $300 to change clock spring. Which way should I go?

Search this Thread