2nd Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

What is your ACTUAL MPG for your 3.9 or 4.7? Really need some ideas!! Come on in! :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 09:10 PM
r00st
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is your ACTUAL MPG for your 3.9 or 4.7? Really need some ideas!! Come on in! :)

Sorry for another long thread.. I really need any/all opinions from you DAK owners!!! Nobody knows these trucks better than you guys so I REALLY appreciate the advice

I am stuck between the 3.9 4x4 and a 4.7 4x4. I would be in 4wd for snow/ very minor offroading (mostly hauling my quad to trails). Plus on the v8 is the sound and of course extra hp/tq.

I used to have a 5.2 ram which I love the sound of the v8, but as you all know the 5.2's SUCKED on MPG. I used to get 12/16 if I was lucky (my ram was a 2wd rig, short bed, single cab to boot!)

Anyway.. as you have seen in my other thread i have a decent line on a 2003 extended cab 4x4 with the 3.9. It was a gov. vehicle so maintenance im sure was scheduled (including wear items I hope). I am going to ask for a maintenance record to see if axles/ ball joints/ tranny/ rear end/ brakes etc have been serviced/replaced. I know these trucks are good for 200k with proper care, so im hoping to own one! The starting "bid" is $3950 and seeing as how thats super low (kbb for fair condition private party is $6500). I was thinking a bid of $4500-$4800 would be fair and hopefully competitive (I have NO Idea how mnay people tend to bid on these).

But..then in my other thread the 4.7 guys were saying not much of a difference between the 4.7 and 3.9! I looked it up and it really looks pretty close, but with a sizable difference in power (mostly in torque which is what counts anyway). I will probably put on about 4k-6k miles per year, 70% putting around town.

*Either choice would have to be auto for my non-stick driving GF and parents*

Think I would notice a difference in MPG? Eventually I would like to throw some slightly larger tires on and maybe a 3 inch lift. I know they make a programmer for the 4.7 only and that means a good bit to me (so I can adjust computer, and hopefully get a decent tune for a couple bolt on's).

The other two private party trucks for sale in my area:

1. 2002 4.7 auto extended cab 4x4 with only 65,000 miles on it. They had it on ebay with BIN of $6,750, but it ended (reserve not met) @ $5,000. I emailed offering $5,500 cash if I can come see it this weekend. I am guessing they might say 6k or better, which is probably out of my range (I want to keep some pennies for mods/possible problems)

2. The other truck is 2001 with 80,000 SLT ex-cab with 4.7 (auto) and asking $5900. Seeing as how the asking price is 5900 im guessing they would go for $5400 cash if they are looking for a sale.

Could those of you with 4x4 4.7's and 3.9's tell me your city/highway MPG? I am looking for real world numbers as I keep hearing anything as low as 13 city on the 4.7, up to 17.

Also...I noticed on a search that there is more than one auto tranny for hte 4.7? A 4speed and a 5 speed? I assume 4 w/ OD? Any real big differences here?

Thanks in advance for ANY help you guys can give me! I am just really stuck on what to do! I dont really THINK The 3.9 would be under powered (My GF dad has an 01 3.9 quad cab 2wd) and it has decent passing power, but nothing to write home about. But, if the MPG really is a toss up, I would for sure like to have that v8 grumble again, with some power on tap if I need it!

I am thinking although the 3.9 government truck has a LOT Of probably all city miles (stop and go) it would have had the wear items replaced as needed which is a definite plus, compared to maybe a guy that didnt want to fix those things and they will go out on either of those 4.7's in 10-20k miles.

I owe you guys all a cookie...or a beer for those over 21 (or within 5 years ) Seriously though - this info is worth a lot to me!

Old 10-29-2008, 09:58 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

ok so my dads dak qc w/ the 3.9 an 4x4 gets 16 solid city and highway cant get much more than the maybe 17 if he has a good tailwind

my truck 4.7 w/ 4x4 gets about 15-16 city normally(can get as high as 17 if im REALLY good to it) and on the highway i can get 19 regularly and over 20(again if i am REALLY good to it) oh and you are more than welcome to come buy me a beer or two any time you want ill give you my address at school just pm me

Old 10-29-2008, 10:10 PM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 3.9 will down right get 15 mpg city, suburban driving if im easy on the pedal, but shrpshtr can vouch for me that driving in north jersey means laying on the throttle and come to an instant stop. otherwise driving from pa to jersey on interstate 80 il get average 18/19 mpg going easy on the gas, finding my sweet spot in my engine speed when it comes to hills. thats a 90 mile drive. oddly enough doing a 30 mile drive to scranton and back ( combined 60 miles) il get 15 mpg regardless going easy at the pedal, i believe elevation changes do play a role in this. it's really the nature of the beast. i want to get a superchips programmer for my truck, my bday is coming up, time to hit up the parents and the rest of the family for cash. haha

Old 10-29-2008, 10:22 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

Originally Posted by f0x672
my 3.9 will down right get 15 mpg city, suburban driving if im easy on the pedal, but shrpshtr can vouch for me that driving in north jersey means laying on the throttle and come to an instant stop.

hahahaha rofl yea aint that the truth idk how the state of NJ let some of these ppl get the license its not joke when ppl say the nj drivers drive w/ one hand on the horn one finger outhte window and a foot on both the gas and brake its terrible but no wrecks for me

o and he forgot to mention all the riced out hondas that i can beat in mydads underpowered v6 w/ a full bed of wood or dirt and you cant say no when they pull up next to you and start reving w/ their fart cans

Old 10-29-2008, 11:37 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have an 01 CC. It's a manual 5 speed and 2wd but I thought I'd give my 2 cents' worth here. I get 22 or 23 mpg around town and I guess about 25 or 26 on the interstate. It used to get about 17 or 18 until I put in a 180 degree thermostat and a V8 throttle body off a 5.2. A lot of guys said a 180 tstat would make it a real gas pig but my own MPG actually improved with it and the V8 TB. I removed the elbow off the air box and then later cut out the opening in the front of the air box to increase the air flow. I run a regular paper air filter, the ProSelect from Napa, made by Wix. I was running Autolite 3923 plugs, I changed them out this past weekend for a set of NGK FR5F that I had already bought last year when I was trying to get rid of a pinging problem. Maybe it's because they are new and I just replaced the cap and rotor too but I am getting even a little better MPG now on the NGK's. I use the cap and rotor from Napa with brass contacts and the Belden premium plug wires from Napa. I tune it up every 20,000 miles, and change the plug wires every other 20K. I change my oil between 2800 and 3000 miles, using Valvoline Maxlife 10w30 and a ProSelect filter, and I run a bottle of Gumout Regane every other oil change. I pull off the TB and clean it and the IAC sensor a couple of times a year. I rotate my tires every other oil change and I keep the right air pressure in them. I run Michelin LTX tires, 235/75R15, the best tires I ever bought. These few things help my MPG a lot plus I really enjoy maintaining and working on my truck.

My truck runs pretty good for a 3.9. It's not the fastest thing on the block, but it suits me. I get good MPG's from the few mods I have done, and I drive it like an old man. No hotrod starts or racing down the streets, no tail gating, easy on the throttle. I installed a Rostra cruise control on it not long after I got it and I use it whenever I can. It works great and helps the MPG too.

I guess a 4WD with auto might get a little less MPG. If you keep it tuned up and take good care of it a 3.9 will do fine on gas and last a long time too. I really like my truck and I'd rather have my Dakota than any of the new trucks I have seen come out lately in the last few years anyway.

Just my .02.

Jimmy

Last edited by 01SilverCC; 10-29-2008 at 11:46 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:38 PM
apecx

2000 extra cab 4.7 4x4 sport, 31" tires 355 gears automatic walker big muffler 2.5" tubing, 15 mpg, towing a car with trailer and 3 people, 8 mpg! Ran better with jet chip stage 2 but the speed sensor went bad twice with the chip in! Could it have been the chip? Hasnt happened again, chip was sold.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:14 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's Called MAGIC, But It's Pure Engineering from Chrysler Group

* Small Changes to Engine, Vehicle Add Up to 25 Percent Better Fuel Efficiency

AUBURN HILLS, Mich., June 13, 2002 -------- Chrysler Group
researchers are using a series of small steps in engineering to produce a
giant leap in fuel efficiency that could benefit consumers in the not-too-
distant future.
With a series of engineering changes to Chrysler's standard gasoline-
powered, 4.7-liter V-8 engine, researchers have produced an engine with 14
percent better fuel efficiency. The cost of those changes: less than $200 per
engine. The project has been nicknamed the MAGIC engine, which stands for
Multiple Approaches to Great Internal Combustion. The improvement in fuel
efficiency was achieved with no sacrifice in emissions, power, cost, weight,
engine life or other engine characteristics such as noise, vibration or
harshness.
"We call it the MAGIC engine, but it's really pure engineering," said
Thomas Moore, DaimlerChrysler Vice President and head of the Liberty &
Technical Affairs advanced technology research group in Rochester Hills,
Michigan. "Our goal was to demonstrate that all these little changes actually
work in the real world and add up to major improvements in efficiency. Today
we can say that it all works."
Eight different design and engineering changes were made to the standard
engine. "Most of these changes are not new, and individually, they produce
miniscule gains in fuel efficiency," Moore said. "The idea of the MAGIC
engine is to package them all together so the overall gain is significant."
As a next step, Chrysler engineers packaged the MAGIC engine into a Dodge
Durango SUV with several additional design changes to enhance fuel efficiency.
That vehicle, project Apollo, achieves an overall improvement in fuel
efficiency of 25 percent.

Total additional costs for project Apollo are only about $700 per vehicle.
Areas of improvement are:
* Increased compression ratio (4 percent) -- resulting in greater
efficiency and lower emissions -- through:
+ Intake port air-gap thermal barrier.
Chrysler Group has applied for a patent for this innovative feature.
+ On-demand piston oil-squirters
+ Precision cooling system

* Charge motion control (5 percent). Use of swirl control valves to
enhance flame propagation during warm-up and partial load
This also enables increased EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation)

* Friction loss reduction (4 percent). Design changes to lower friction
at no extra cost:
+ Crankshaft offset
+ Reduced oil-ring tension
+ Shortened coolant jacket

* Parasitic loss reduction (1 percent). New design oil pump with reduced
internal leakage and reduced friction

Chrysler Group engineers used the same incremental approach to fuel
efficiency improvements in the Dodge Durango SUV fuel efficiency demonstration
vehicle.

The Apollo project includes the following enhancements:

* A 12V alternator/restarter to allow transparent shutdown and restarting
of a warm engine in stop/start traffic conditions (4 percent)
* Improved cooling technologies, including electronic thermostat,
electric water pump, transmission temperature management and multi-mode
temperature strategy (5 percent)
* Improved undercarriage aerodynamics (belly pans and air dams) and
grille shutters resulting in reduced drag (1.2 percent)
* Electro-hydraulic power steering (1 percent)

"Engineers have been improving the internal combustion engine for 130
years, so big improvements are hard to come by," Moore said. "We made the big
improvement one small step at a time."

Old 10-31-2008, 11:18 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

so if i had the ability to do this i would be able to break 20 mpg city????? that would be awesome but idk if the cost of it is worth would need to do the math to see where the payoff point would be, how many years down the road

Old 10-31-2008, 05:56 PM
big.bryant
Champion

i get a solid 15-16 (maybe 17) in the city. Then on the highway with my new tonneau cover (between 80-90 mph) i got 19.4 as my best. that is a4.7 5 speed QC

Old 10-31-2008, 10:58 PM
r00st

Thanks for the replies... I am for sure going to get the 4.7, but auto (have to.. )

*UPDATE*

Ok so I go to see this dakota (its only like 40 miles but took 1.5 hours...crazy little town streets going all over the damn place).

Got there and was really excited when I saw the truck (looked really nice...from about 20 ft away lol). Introduced myself and my dad and started talking about the truck. The things I noticed immediately were the long scrape down the side, looked like from a protruding stick on the trail (looks offroaded..a lot).

Quite a few little dings... The silver spray in "line-x" liner was faded (parts were green? some were black?). The lights on the bull bar had burnt covers (his son turned the lights on with the covers on and it blew up the housings and burned holes in the covers...looks like ****!).

The tires had MAYBE a few 16th's left...and these tires only had 7k miles on them! Two were more burned down than the other two and they were on the front (meaning he was burning them off and put them on the front).

Regardless of the BS.. I was still leary but took it for a drive. The exhaust sounds good, but thats because the tail pipe is HANGING From the hanger (not attatched...) which whatever exhaust is an easy fix. Got about 1/4 mile away and thought this isnt too bad...

Pulled out onto the road and the thing pretty much makes right hand turns by itself. THe odd part is, there was an alignment with the new tires 7k miles ago? Who knows maybe his son was evil kenievel'ing this truck off jumps. I went to hit the brakes for the first time...WHOA..what brakes? TO THE FLOOR! I have driven 3 other dakotas so I know they have mush pedals...but this was BAD (almost didnt stop). At this point im kinda pissed and heading back.

For ****s... I throw it into 4wd...and hear CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH! (everyone walking on the sidewalks and trick or treating looked SCARED it was so loud). So on top of all that other **** the transfer case and or front diff is chewed up... At this piont I Just flat out turn around and go back to this dousche bags house (didnt even finish the little "route" he told me to take. I smashed the gas at the lgiht and the tires spun pretty bad (I forgot how bad an unloaded pickup with a V8 spins..) but cant say I felt bad.

I told the guy straight up... if you want to sell it to me for 2k I MIGHT Consider it...but otherwise you ahve some serious issues to take care of before anyone should drive this thing safely, and left!

Thats my story....! SO im back on the lookout...

The other truck near me (02 x cab 4x4 4.7) is listed as "AWD" I thought they just mean "4wd" but I did a google search and apparently there was a version of the dakota without selectable 2wd/4wd? (aka...actual AWD?). Didnt know that, but thats not for me, so im passing on that one too.

They always say good things come to those who wait. I am definitely glad im waiting!

Quick Reply: What is your ACTUAL MPG for your 3.9 or 4.7? Really need some ideas!! Come on in! :)