2nd Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

Tire defect...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 05:21 PM
Robertwav1
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tire defect...

Was wondering if any of you ever had a tire that was bad in such a way that there is no tread seperation, tires balanced okay yet I have a hop every once in a while. Bought new tires two years ago, about 22K on them now. I had a balance problem in the front as a few months went by.....had them check for seperation, they weren't so, they rebalanced them.....stil had the hop like it was a balance problem at slow speed. Anyway to make a long story short I rotated tires and the problem quickly went to the rear now.....I put up with it because it wasn't all the time however, it got consistently worse. Today I got two new tires and the problems gone. Tire place told me the 4oK tread warranty doesn't cover the problem I had. Okay so now I have a new tire place. I just never had that happen to me before? A bad tire with no defects and it balanced fine? A first time for everything?

Old 06-09-2017, 10:38 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

sounds like the belts separated inside the tire. If you had spun it on a balancer, it might have a high spot or it might not, but the telltale is that looking at the tread while spinning, you'll see a section be curved instead of flat. We just put 7 new tires on our race trailer because of this. Had a blowout going out to abilene, bought a new spare there, had a blowout coming back, went to a friends tire shop to swap them out, and found 2 with separated belts, probably what caused the other 2 to pop.