2nd Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

Dealership Fail Story... Stay Loyal or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 06:44 PM
scullman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dealership Fail Story... Stay Loyal or Not?

*Long story, moderators please move if in wrong spot*

I just wanted to share a story about a failed dealership repair, and I am kicking myself for not checking their work. I purchased a 2001 Dodge Dakota 4.7L Quad Cab 4x4 that had only 69,500 miles last November. The dealership has a policy, "Any vehicle under 70,000 miles at the time of the sale gets a lifetime power train warranty through the in house service center." All you have to do is get any service pertaining to the power train done at the dealership (oil change, spark plugs, tranny service, etc), and log any service done outside of the power train, so brakes and such can be done in my garage; which was a big selling point to me as I like to work on my own stuff.

Good deal, paid $6,500 for the truck, had some rust but not nearly what you would expect for a 2001... I put down a deposit, but they needed to do some repairs before I signed the paperwork... They did the lower ball joints, and some other things. During the final test drive after service the turn signals went out, they said they would cover the repair, which was great. A month later, I finally got the call they fixed my truck and I could finally take it home. In case you were wondering they had to replace the junction block. Having already made my first payment before I got to drive the truck, I was a little annoyed...

My front end started making a ton of noise the other day, so I crawled underneath to take a look. My shocks are bad, no "shocker" there from the noise it has been making. What took me by surprise was the lower ball joints were bone dry! They were just replaced 8 months ago! Upon further inspection, there was no zerk installed in the hole... the ball joints were never greased up after install and have been running dry this whole time! Mind you, I have only put 8,000 miles on the truck in 8 months, so not like I drive far. Either way, I am surprised they held up that long.

I called the Service Manager and he could not squeeze me in until Monday morning (today is Friday). He said before he makes any comment, he has to look at the truck to see what is going on. I get it, I am sure a bunch of asshats complain about everything all the time. Oh and to top it off, he said he could not provide a loaner car until Wednesday... Hopefully that does not mean my truck will be there another month, I just sold my other vehicle!

My think is, this dealership is a 45 min drive to get there. Is it really worth having to do all my routine maintenance done there when I cannot trust them anymore? I do usually get there just in time before they close after I get off of work, since my work commute takes me within 20 minutes of the place. I am tempted to give up the lifetime power train warranty and start taking it to a shop 5 min from my house where I have my wife's car serviced. I have been taking her car there ever since I moved two years ago, and there service center has never let me down (yet).

I may try to convice the Service Manager to let me have it serviced somewhere else, since in the warrant agreement it states I can if I live too far away; however, I am within their 50 mile radius. I just know with my luck as soon as I tell them to shove their lifetime warranty, my tranny or engine will go. We will see how my conversation goes with the Service Manager on Monday.