2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

gas gauge

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 03:53 AM
Rakaric
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas gauge

Hey all, I was wondering if you all experience that the gas gauge..maybe moves faster than it should? lol, idk. I only drive about 8 miles a day, butin 4 separate trips. I would be in the middle of driving and I just notice the needle moves..more than it should. A few days ago I was at 50 miles or so and it was at 3/4 of a tank full. I had to move my truck on different parts of the driveway. This consisted of like..5 - 10 start-ups. Then before I started my next trip, I noticed the gas gauge needle has moved another 1/8 - 1/4 of the tank worth. Is this normal?

Old 04-04-2007, 04:06 AM
demarco0129
Professional
Default RE: gas gauge

i dont know about whats going on with your truck, but i can notice my gas goes faster if i make a lot of short trips turning it off and on. Seems kinda hard on it too, I dunno though as far as actual mpg difference. My mpg varies considerably dfiferent if I am up at college making3-4 short trips everyday in the city as opposed to 2-3 longer trips going 55 back home. 8-15. I would do a tank almost completely on city, then take one long trip and see what the difference is.

Old 04-04-2007, 04:21 AM
varsis
Record Breaker

Might be the change in slope on where you parked mine changes like that. (Fluctuates like that from 1/4 tank about. at time depending on where I park)

Old 04-04-2007, 04:30 AM
Rakaric
Record Breaker

My driveway is pretty flat, and straight.

Old 04-04-2007, 04:43 AM
varsis
Record Breaker

Not sure then, probably just when you start it up the gas shakes and it ends up reading at different places. Nothing really to worry about if you ask me.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:24 AM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

it is a electrical guage..somtimes they "screw up" mechanical wouldn't do that...

Old 04-04-2007, 11:36 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

thats true, but can you get a mechanical gas gauge for these trucks?????

Old 04-04-2007, 07:27 PM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

an old post with info on the gas gauge fix.
Consider trying the relatively cheap 'Techron Concentrate Plus' cleaning first.
===
Some old posts that might be of interest:

fuel gauge sender fix

https://dodgeforum.com/m_675391/tm.htm

sulfur in gasoline poisoning Chrysler style sender resistance strip:
====
Chrysler fuel senders that are inside the fuel tank use a silver alloy on the strip that the float's slider rubs against to vary the electrical resistance that works the gas gauge.

Sulfur in gasoline (or diesel) can foul or 'poison' this Chrysler part much easier than GM or Ford's sender.

You can read about this sulfur killing DCX fuel gauges at these weblinks:

http://web.archive.org/web/200206110...er/3378552.htm

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/bad_fuel.txt

As others have said, you may be stuck having to replace the fuel unit.

On Diesel Truck Resource and Turbo Diesel Register some Ram owners have reported that they have been able to clean and fix the resistor slider - but only after pulling it from the tank.

It is only 50/50 chance
but you might be able to get the fuel gauge working again by using a heavy concentration
of a cleaner like Chevron Techron, Napa's "Kleen" or a few cans of official Mopar Fuel Injection cleaner from the Dodge dealership. Whether to spend $18-36 in a gamble to see if it would avoid buying a new in-tank unit is up to you.

Over on another forum (Moparts) there is a long time poster who goes by Mr P Body who claims he was in charge of testing many fuel injector cleaners in order to choose the official one Mopar uses, which he claims works significantly better.

The newer version of Chevron's cleaner (Techron Concentrated Plus) mentions improving fuel sender operation after sulfur fouling.
----
also check out this old post

https://dodgeforum.com/m_508851/tm.htm

Old 04-04-2007, 09:14 PM
2002Dakota4.7L
Rookie

I too have a similar problem. How far between fill-ups can you go? I can only get about 200 miles from full till the light comes on. Can only put in 16-18 gallons at the light. Needle never seems to read totally full always a hair under even though I top the tank off with about a dollar or 2extra gas after the auto-shut off on the pump. Only drive 8 miles one way to work needle dead on a notch come out at the end of the day and start up and the needle for some reason is maybe a 1/16 lower. I am supposed to have the 24 gallon tank, currently have a request in to dodge for the build specs. I am going to try the chevron techron stuff. Sure don't want to shell out a few bills for a new FSU.

Quick Reply: gas gauge