2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Really Need Your Help Guys?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 03:52 AM
NatesDakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really Need Your Help Guys?

I have used the search feature and came up empty handed. Really easy quick questionI would think for all you pros or even guys with the 2003 Dakota 4x4 3.9L manual holders? I am installing a navigation system with needs to tap into the "speed sensor" wire. I have no idea where it is or what color it is or anything. If someone can walk me through this I would really appreciate this as I am attempting this install tommorow. Thanks again in advance!
Nathan

Old 04-06-2007, 04:56 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Really Need Your Help Guys?

depending on the model wether it is a st, slt or laramie it may be located on the trany or on the rear differential. you need to locate the sensor and tap into it that way.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:57 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if all else fails go on line to www.crutchfield.com they should have a diagram

Old 04-07-2007, 08:03 AM
NatesDakota

Ok
it is a 2003 3.9l Dakota QC SLT. Ihave no idea what im looking for. I though I could just find the wire in the main harness under that dash and tap in that way.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:40 PM
rtkota5point9
All Star

Ha ha, sadly it's not quite that convenient. There is a "speed" wire behind the dash for the cluster, but it is not a raw speed sense signal and connot be used. The wire you need is right at the PCM on the passenger side fender. It's on the middle connector, pin #27. It's a White/Orange or a Blue wire. The connector does have the pins numbered, the numbers are really small, but they are there. On the inside of the plug where it plugs into the PCM.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:44 PM
rtkota5point9
All Star

BTW, you don't need the speed sense wire (on most units), it's purpose, is if you're in a tunnel, and the satelite can't track you, it still has a way to "guess" where you're at, judging by your speed. It also makes the vehicle dynamics much more accurate, if your unit has it.

Old 04-08-2007, 06:31 AM
NatesDakota

Well let me first start by saying thanx for the detailed response. Unfortuantly im not too bright when it comes to mechanics. Im not sure 100% where you are telling me it is. Also the navigation im installing is the Eclipse AVN 7000 with the 20Gig HD. It has a wire off the harness that says"speed sensor" and the guy I bought it from said that it was sothe vehicle icon moves on the screen while you drive and it tells you where to turn as well as shows you where to turn. Thats what he told me so I have nothing different to go on but if I dont even really need to hook this up I prob wont. Can I hook it up to that wire you were talking about behind the dash? Please let me know anything you can. Thanks again in Advance

Quick Reply: Really Need Your Help Guys?