2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 10:08 PM
tel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.10

Hi All.
Put a Richmond 4.10 pinion gear in my 98. Other than a little whine between 50mph and 60mph it feels great. but at 70mph I get a vibration, had tires re-balanced didn't help. I used the complete kit, new bearings etc etc.. the U joints seem ok. this was not a problem untill I changed the rear end.. so it is something I have done..
Anyone have any suggestions...
tel

Old 06-05-2007, 02:28 AM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 4.10

did you get a shop to install the gears or did you do it. and did you make sure theres the right amount of back lash in the gears.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:22 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: 4.10

first off, richmond are the worst possible gears to get. i had percision gears installed in my 05 dak and have no problems at all. only thing was i needed to learn how to drive again because the back end was spinning everywhere. when you tore apart the carrier bearing did you notice if the spider gears were shot? also you need to make sure the axle seals seat correctly or the fluid is going to drain. most likely the ring and pionion you got was not balanced and is bent. also now that you have the new gears you may need to have drive shaft rebalanced. as far as the whining goes it is not shimmed correctly. rears are just that a pain in the rear.when you removed the axle shaft, did you place them on a level spot or just left them to hang in the houing. could have a bent shaft from the factory and the new gears are picking it up.

Quick Reply: 4.10