2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Anybody Towing Large Travel Trailers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 08:11 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Anybody Towing Large Travel Trailers?

I say go for it. I've towed 9k pounds with mine for about 100kms. it handled it pretty good. just take it easy and it should be fine.

anybody who has ever towed a car trailer with a vehicle on it whould be over weight then?

I know its not a full size truck but they can still handle it pretty good.

Old 06-09-2007, 10:03 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jonnymagnum

I say go for it. I've towed 9k pounds with mine for about 100kms. it handled it pretty good. just take it easy and it should be fine.

anybody who has ever towed a car trailer with a vehicle on it whould be over weight then?

I know its not a full size truck but they can still handle it pretty good.
Commercial vehicle enforcement here in WA has pulled people over, and the fines are stiff IIRC.

And no, not everyone who has towed a car trailer would be over weight. My 02 5.9 Dak's tow capacity is right around 6000 pounds, the WRX wagon weighs about 3500, and the tiltbed trailer we use weighs 1900 pounds, which is several hundred pounds under the max allowed.

Towing an overweight load once in a blue moon you can get away with, but Dodge factors longevity into their charts, and with the 3.55 gears they're figuring the max trailer weight at X amount so they can keep the tranny healthy. I highly recommend that if you're going to get a heavier trailer, put a tranny oil temp gauge in and put the biggest tranny cooler on that you can find, and leave OD off unless you're going downhill.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:17 AM
4.7DakotaQC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After doing some more research, we have narrowed it down to a handfull of travel trailers. The heavest one is just over 5k pounds. So, if 250 pounds extra is to much for the truck, Dodge will need to look into there trucks across the board for a stronger solution to this problem. I have pulled other things like a tractor that would not start, weighing 5k+ lbs. just like it was not back there. That was pulling with a chain, so a weight distributing ball hitch will be a breeze.

Quick Reply: Anybody Towing Large Travel Trailers?