2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

what minor upgrades can I do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007 | 12:49 AM
Cribbs3
Default what minor upgrades can I do?

Right now I'm driving a 1999 Dodge Dakota V8 318.

I've only had it for the past 4 month. And all I know about the truck is that it has a K&N Intake without the head holder so the previous driver messed the filter because it's all melted on one side and the rubber is ripped where the clamp holds it to the intake.

Thats basically all the upgrades I know thats in the truck.

What I want to do next is to run dual Magnaflows straight pipes from the headers.. Not sure if it's better to get new headers with the new pipes or if it's the same. And thats all that I can think of. Is there more I can do to my truck? I've heard a little about Cams gears and that stuff but not to sure on it's specifics.

I've seen in a previous thread about "4.56 Gear" and have no idea what it is, what it does and how much it'll probably cost. same with a "Blower" and "4 Stroke Rebuild." can anyone elaborate on the details of these three upgrades and what it does and how much the cost would roughly be?

Old 06-13-2007 | 01:19 AM
f0x672
Champion
Default RE: what minor upgrades can I do?

i would say keep on browsin around the forums on upgrades, there are plenty threads about upgrades, 4.56 gear is the gear ratio for the rear differential, so basically the driveshaft will spin 4.56 times for the axle to spin once, great for racing off the line or hauling a heavy load, but not great for constant highway use, a blower is an intake modification to shove more air into the engine, and the 4 stroke rebuild im assuming is over-boring the engine to 408 cubic inches, never heard anything about that being done with a 318 but common with the 360 v8

Old 06-13-2007 | 02:07 AM
User
Champion

ORIGINAL: Cribbs3

Right now I'm driving a 1999 Dodge Dakota V8 318.

I've only had it for the past 4 month. And all I know about the truck is that it has a K&N Intake without the head holder so the previous driver messed the filter because it's all melted on one side and the rubber is ripped where the clamp holds it to the intake.

Thats basically all the upgrades I know thats in the truck.

What I want to do next is to run dual Magnaflows straight pipes from the headers.. Not sure if it's better to get new headers with the new pipes or if it's the same. And thats all that I can think of. Is there more I can do to my truck? I've heard a little about Cams gears and that stuff but not to sure on it's specifics.

I've seen in a previous thread about "4.56 Gear" and have no idea what it is, what it does and how much it'll probably cost. same with a "Blower" and "4 Stroke Rebuild." can anyone elaborate on the details of these three upgrades and what it does and how much the cost would roughly be?
Headers or Exhuast manifolds? if your going to go true duels, get a set of headers also.. long tube is more for highend power, shorties more for lowend power. Im guessing your truck has exhuast manifolds and not headers, headers are seperate tubes running down into 1 clamping onto the exhuast.. a exhuast manifold is stock with any motor it has 4 tubes connected to one big one with a single out.... and its useally rusted to hell and looks like **** with a peice of sheet metal over it from factory to help with the heat....

Old 06-13-2007 | 03:13 AM
wink2873
Record Breaker

you cant bore a 318 out to a 408, the cylinder walls would be paper thin. but it could be bored and stroked to something like a 350 or so. you might want to consider getting an x or h pipe for your exhaust instead of running strait back. it'll balance out the exhaust pulses so it sounds and performs better.

Quick Reply: what minor upgrades can I do?