2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Idling Problems - Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 09:34 PM
bigmac58
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idling Problems - Engine Light

Hello everyone, I joined this forum today in hopes that you can help me with my Dodge. I have a 1997 Dakota Sport, 3.9l V6, standard. I purchased the truck used from a Dodge dealer and have had a lot a trouble with it. Currently it is on its fifth catalytic converter, which I purchased from another Dodge dealer who also did $2000 worth of work to the truck to fix the problem that the original dealer would not under warranty. Does this model year have a lot of trouble with the catalytic converter? Also, my truck is now idling rough, "shutters" during acceleration when starting off and when accelerating in a higher gear and the check engine light has been on for some months now. I do the key trick on and off to get the code and the only code that is returned is 12, which I think means that the battery has been disconnected. The last time the battery has been disconnected was about 6 months ago. Should I try to reset the computer? Does the engine trouble sound like an O2 sensor? Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bigmac58

Old 10-18-2006, 01:44 PM
Erich_121
Veteran
Default RE: Idling Problems - Engine Light

ive got the same year truck as you, but mines a 4x4. Ive got 173K on mine and have had no problems at all. Ive had the truck for 6 months. Sounds like your truck didnt have much tlc. What i would do is get all new plugs and wires, new ignition coil and rotor cap, and see if that fixes it. if not then check your fuel filter. The shudder could possibly tires unbalenced but you said your check engine light was on so that might not be it. other problems might be a failing fuel filter. check autozone.com and go to trouble shooting. That might help

Old 10-18-2006, 02:01 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

i am hoping that you have checked the o2 sensors. cats will last a long time, there is no reason you are burning through cats like that. make sure you do a thorough tune-up like erich suggested, then replace the o2 sensors. also, ask whoever is doing the work why you are burning through cats and if they even checked the o2 sensors.

Old 10-19-2006, 03:47 PM
Erich_121
Veteran

on my previous post i ment failing fuel pump, not filter, and check your PCV Valve, that would cause a rough idle

Quick Reply: Idling Problems - Engine Light