2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

outer tie rod ends

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 08:47 PM
lrrman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default outer tie rod ends

Just bought a 99 dakota. It has the aluminum 15x8 rims and 31.5x10 tires. The outer tie rod ends are hitting the inside of the rims when turning full to either left or right. Themecanical stops are there on the lower control arms but the tie rod is hitting the rimbefore it hits the stop. Any ideas?
thanks.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:14 PM
Chris
Record Breaker
Default RE: outer tie rod ends

You are using wheels with an offset that is incorrect for your truck. Unfortunately, you will need to replace the wheels, or you can get the hub extenders, like I did, off of eBay. Below is a link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wheel...spagenameZWDVW

If you think that you don't need 1.5" of additional offset, you can try one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-Dod...spagenameZWDVW

Old 06-22-2007, 11:08 AM
lrrman

Do all stock dakota trucks use these back spacers? It doesnt make sense why they would put these rims on a truck knowing spacers would be needed? I have thought about drilling a hole in the mechanical stop to put a bolt through it so I can adjust the stop? Seems like poor quality control at the factory to me.
thanks for your reply.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:07 AM
lrrman

My tie rod ends have an offset to them. Are the tie rod ends interchangeable? Are they threaded the same or are they specially made for left side or right side?
thanks.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:41 PM
lrrman

Found the tie rod problem.....the tie rod ends were offset and put on wrong. The drivers side should have been on the passenger side and vice versa.

Quick Reply: outer tie rod ends