2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Co-Workers Dakota check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 02:24 PM
Dosborn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Co-Workers Dakota check engine light

Good morning. My co-worker has a 1999 doge Dakota. Her check engine light came on last night so I told her I would try to pull the code for her this morning. Well I can't seem to pull the code. I have tried the two methods I have found on various sites to try to pull the code.

#1, hold the reset button, turn the car to on, then release the button. No result.

#2 Turn the key from On to Off to On to Off then to On one more time. Tried this about 20-30 times no result each time.

What am I doing wrong? Thank you for your time.

- Dana

Old 10-04-2004, 12:04 AM
kota98
Rookie
Default RE: Co-Workers Dakota check engine light

you need to retreive the codes by an external code scaner 97 i believe was the last year for the on board code scanner for the dakotas
Rick

Old 10-21-2004, 01:16 AM
southeastperformance
Rookie

yup, thats true. 98-99 models have an external scanner to plug under the dash for code readings. you can try Autozone stores or some other parts stores in your area to see if they will read the codes "free" for you. some do that thinking you will be buying the new parts from them.

Old 11-04-2004, 02:14 AM
HEMI ?
Rookie

if it runs fine i might say chck the gas cap alot of cars have the vacume system on them and if a crack is on the oring for the cap it allows aleak and blammo check engine light not sure if it applies to your year but i know it applies to alot of dchryslers stuff

good luck

Quick Reply: Co-Workers Dakota check engine light