2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

ticking type noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 10:09 AM
dualdakota01
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ticking type noise

hello all. im new here to the forum and i just picked up a 2001 dakota sport. v6 3.9. its got 170 kms on it. body in amazing shape. anyway there's a ticking type noise that is fairly noticable on first start of the day and fades alittle as i drive throughout the day. but still present. when i pop the hood sounds like its comming from the front of engine. i believe its one of the pulleys but not sure which one. im think'n of getting a stethoscope and try'n to pinpoint the one but is it hard to actually change a pulley? i can't seem to find much info online about any proper steps to do to change one.
anyway any help or ideas would be great. i know if i take it in it will cost like 300$ bucks to get fixed. the part alone is under a hundred so figure i could save cash just by DYI. anyway thanks in advance.
[8D]

Old 06-29-2007, 03:44 PM
kcoop99
Rookie
Default RE: ticking type noise

I have heard it is 'piston slap' and there really is no fixing it. Some guys have said run a heavier oil in it, but mine does the same. I am going to watch this as maybe someone else has more to say....

Old 06-29-2007, 03:45 PM
xVeNoMx
Rookie

Yea.. mine does it as well.. Could be lifters... Pretty much did it since i bought the thing.

Had 72,000 when i bought it.. now has 97,000 or so and still running..

Old 06-29-2007, 05:55 PM
dualdakota01
Professional

yah it seems that its not actually comming from the engine itself tho it does sound external. so im assuming its bearings from one of the pulleys. a buddy of mine has a 2001 dak as well adn same sound he had fixed at dealer but cost him 300$ (canadian). anyway ill keep ya's posted.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:25 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: dualdakota01

yah it seems that its not actually comming from the engine itself tho it does sound external. so im assuming its bearings from one of the pulleys. a buddy of mine has a 2001 dak as well adn same sound he had fixed at dealer but cost him 300$ (canadian). anyway ill keep ya's posted.
Most likely the A/C condenser pulley bearing.

Old 06-30-2007, 02:58 AM
takethebounce

My '00 3.9 ticks sometimes when it is cooler, some techs say it is spark knock, I have ran higher octane fuel and it is still present, other times I don't notice it, right now the loudest tick I hear is the PCV valve. I run a heavier oil in the summer and again sometimes it ticks, sometimes it doesn't. Just one of those 3.9 things I guess.

Old 06-30-2007, 03:39 AM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

acutally.. ticking either comes from the timing chair of valve train... and the external ticking your hearing is the evap leak monitor pump... its a noisy solenoid, next time its really loud, pop the hood and put your hand ontop of the solenoid ( right behind the left headlamp has 2 or 3 wires going into it) and each tick will go with each beat of the solenoid, nothing to worry about.. common with the 3.9, 5.2 and 5.9, run a heavier oil to help the ticking inside the engine but the random ticking is that pump, i myself wouldnt worry about it, i have the same problem, looked over everything and its fine

Old 06-30-2007, 06:19 AM
varsis
Record Breaker

To check if it's a condenser or something else just take the belt off turn the engine on and go listen. If you have a clutch fan you will be able to hear the noise a lot easier as now it will be more noticeable without the fan noise. This is the best way to check if the noise is still there than it's with the engine are posted above one of those problems, valves timing etc... A stethoscope could help especially with the fan noise gone you can get your hand in there to listen.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:06 AM
BoeingMan
Professional

Have you tried removing your wristwatch before you approach your car?

Kiddin mun, just joking. hope you get it resolved and better than b4

Old 06-30-2007, 09:09 AM
dualdakota01
Professional

thanks for the tips , im gonna snoop around today and see what i can come up with. what would u guys recommend for a heavier oil? anyone use that royal purple stuff?

Quick Reply: ticking type noise