2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

rear wheel alignmen

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 07:29 PM
dualdakota01
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear wheel alignmen

hey again i ve only been on the site for a week but have learned alot so far so thanks again... anyway im posting again for a friend of mine he has a dak 01 and was curious if this is common or not.. his right rear tire/wheel sticks ou like half and inch maybe more then the left side wheel. when we look from rear of truck the axl looks a bit off center. not really that noticable but if u actually get picky u can see it. any thoughts on this and anyone els's truck have this? my old mustang had the same thing actually being slighly off but never really looked into it.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:28 PM
mikec04
Rookie
Default RE: rear wheel alignmen

Askl him if he has a "salvage" title. Sounds like it's been wrecked and not put together correctly.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:23 PM
dualdakota01
Professional

its not that bad outa line but just one tire seems to be slightly out furthur then the other side. no wrecks or anything on the report for it when he bought it. who knows probably take a look under it this weekend and see if we can see anything that would the culprit.

Old 07-15-2007, 02:50 AM
DakotaRT03

most pickup trucks without post rear ends do that, my dakota does it too.. get a wheel spacer for the other wheel

Old 07-15-2007, 12:32 PM
dualdakota01
Professional

after furthur inspection we saw that the actual truck bed was alittle on angle to the left when looking from behind. not sure what is intailed in fixing that. gonna have a good look today i think.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:35 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

weird, no salvage title tho? no accidents?

Old 07-16-2007, 09:48 AM
dualdakota01
Professional

nope no wrecks. i noticed that from looking from behind the axle and that seems in line. however the stabalizer bar is alittle crooked on the left side. like the other right side one seems too be flat accross and then makes a neat curve down however the left side kinda begins to slope downward slightly before it curves downward. hard to explain. could a stabalizer bar cause alittle lean to one side if was out of whack.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:20 PM
300exoh
Rookie

I had the same issue with an 05 chevy colorado. GM told me that it was normal to have the rear slightly off center...which I think is BS. Something is not right. Needless to say I ended up filing lemon law on the truck and bought my Dakota. I had front tire wear issues on the colorado and had several alignments and nothing would fix the truck. I always suspected it was because the rearend was offset to one side. Sounds to me like something is bent or out of whack somehow. I never found a fix for the problem. I was told by a mechanic that you could loosen the leaf spring/axle mounts and move the rear axle over to center it on the frame but I never tried it. He said that it could cause a driveline vibration because of driveshaft angles but I can't see how since the axle isn't centered to begin with. In theory it should improve the driveline angle eliminating the possibility of vibration. Hope this helps.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:12 PM
rtkota5point9
All Star

A lot of vehicles have this. Camaros are really known for it. I think my truck does the same thing, I wouldn't be too worried about it. It's the body/bed that's off a bit, not the axles. You should be able to loosen up the bed a little and move it slightly.

Quick Reply: rear wheel alignmen