2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

new here and need help with fuel system

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 10:07 AM
kiddodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new here and need help with fuel system

Hi my name is Mike and i own a 2000 Dodge Dakota 6 cyl in 2005 the oil pressure light came on and I did not have time to replace it so the truck has been sitting. My son is going to be driving soon so i am in the process of getting the truck back on the road. I have replaced the oil pump an have been unable to start the truck i believe the fuel filteris clogged as i am getting no fuel to the injectors. does anyone know if the filter is on the outside of the fuel tank and were it might be. also will air in the fuel line cause the same problem. thank you for your time

Mike[sm=headbang.gif]

Old 07-10-2007, 10:19 AM
Chris
Record Breaker
Default RE: new here and need help with fuel system

Was there gas in it when you last ran it? If there was, the gas has turned into turpentine. The fuel filter and pump are all one assembly, inside the gas tank. You will most likely want to replace in anyway, being that it has sat for two years. You will at least need to make sure the gas tank is completely empty, then fill with fresh fuel.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:42 AM
kiddodge

yes there was a full tank of gas i added gas saver to the tank and the gas appears to be ok. I was thinking i was gonna need to replace the fuel pump do you know of any other test i can do before i drop the tank?

Old 07-10-2007, 06:27 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

You can run a pressure gauge inline with the fuel line to see what kind of pressure you are getting. They are fairly cheap ($20 or less at any major auto parts store) and can save you a lot of time, not to mention it is always good to know the amount of fuel pressure you are running.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:04 PM
kiddodge

this is what i did i removed the truck bed and removed the fuel pump from the top that saved a lot of time and was better than trying to drop the fuel tank. I removed the line going to the pump and turned on the key and no gas so you were right the pump is bad . So now do i buy a after market pump if available or do i have to go with the same pump

Old 07-11-2007, 11:36 AM
Chris
Record Breaker

I would go with an aftermarket pump. Just make sure you are moving the same amount of fuel as stock or more.

Old 07-14-2007, 07:33 PM
kiddodge

virused i would like to thank you for helping me with this problem i replaced the fuel pump and the truck is running great even though it sat for over two years it sounds like it was never parked in spite of the oil pump going bad and my wife driving it over 6 miles with no oil it isone tough truck and im sure my son will get many miles out of it. Againthank you for your time

Quick Reply: new here and need help with fuel system