2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Synthetic Power Steering Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 01:23 PM
DAKNBLK
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic Power Steering Fluid

When we got the Dak., I noticed that in long turns, while holding the wheel pretty much in the same position, I could feel the wheel pull into the turn on it's own, and then back to where I had it, kinda like when wheel bearings are worn, or some other front end part that would give you loose wobbly steering. I checked all the front stuff, and everything was tight, so I figured maybe a fluid change might help. I went with some Valvoline Syn PS fluid that meets DC spec, and man does it steer better! No more wobbles in the turns or otherwise. I guess maybe the old fluid was just worn out and couldn't provide a consistent pressure? I'm just glad that it's all good to go now.

Old 07-15-2007, 03:38 PM
rclay
Default RE: Synthetic Power Steering Fluid

did you use valvoline atf + 4 synthetic trans fluid or does valvoline have ps fluid ?

Old 07-15-2007, 04:21 PM
DAKNBLK
Professional
Default RE: Synthetic Power Steering Fluid

The Owner and Service Manuals sayNOT to useATF, and yes,Valvolinehas a dedicated PS fluid. The manuals state that the oil must meet spec. MS-5931, which the Valvoline says it does.
Here's a link to their stuff...
http://www.valvoline.com/pages/produ...asp?product=22
I normally don't use Valvoline products, but this was the only syn. available locally to me.

Quick Reply: Synthetic Power Steering Fluid