2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 03:33 AM
ConceptX
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shocks

Yesterday i went out and bought new shocks for my 99 Dakota Sport. I ended up getting Monroe Gas-matics for the front and Monroe Sensa-track for the back. I was just wondering if it matters that there not the same shocks.

Thanks

Old 07-22-2007, 09:26 AM
lil
Captain
Default RE: Shocks

why not ask monroe?....was this your idea or something the shop suggested doing ?

Old 07-22-2007, 01:38 PM
ConceptX

I ended up doing this because these were the last ones they had. I was told by a few different people, including the employee at advanced auto parts, that it would be alright.

Old 07-22-2007, 07:27 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

yea they will work, you only need to replace 2 at a time ( front 2 or back 2), but if i was replacing all of them i would have wanted them all to be the same type it would definetly make for a more even ride, and again who suggested that?

Old 07-22-2007, 07:53 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea mine has the sensa-tracs in the back and stock shocks in the front and it still bounces sometime and is uneven but better than it was with the ranchos and stock ones.

Old 07-24-2007, 02:54 AM
ConceptX

When i went to AAP to buy the shocks, they told me that the ones they had in stock were the same company(Monroe) but they werent the same shock, front 2 were Gas-Matic, and the back 2 were Sensa-Trac. The employee there told me that it wouldnt make a difference, and he even said that a heavier shock in the back is better. So i took his word for it.

I got them put on today. It didnt cost much to have them put on, and the ride is so much better. Im not bouncing all over the place now off a small bump or dip like i was. I cant tell a difference between the shocks, but i do think i should have bought the same shocks for the front and back. What i was planning on getting were the Monroe Reflexes but they were sold out, and i needed shocks quick, so i just took what they had. I should of waited but i didnt.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:45 AM
takethebounce

If you go on Monroe's website and do the shock selector for your truck it will actually give you two different shock types depending on the set up you choose. There is nothing wrong with having the gasmatics up front and sensi's in the back. The gasmatic is their low end shock I believe. The Reflex is the higher end of their consumer line.

I just replaced both front and rear with Reflex's and they are great. Took advantage of the buy 3 get one free deal for July. But then again I had the stock shocks on their with 135,000kms on them. They never leaked but certainly were worn out. Only took about 20 mins per corner to replace, best $200 I have spend on my truck.

Quick Reply: Shocks