2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Need some basic help, new guy attempting stuff

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 06:54 PM
ccdoggy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some basic help, new guy attempting stuff

so as a "bonding" experience i thought that me and my dad would do stuff to our all stock 2001 dakota with the 4.7L engine. I was thinking that we do a cold air intake and the tail lights. not much but why not. I have no experience but have a good memory and can figure things out easily.

Im wondering what kind of intake will fit on this engine, i have been looking at the kits on e-bay and the only ones for the 4.7 do not include the long tube just the filter, supporting things, and a connection to the existing intake tube. Is that really the only way it can be done on that engine and are the e-bay kits any good. Im not lookin to spend more then $60 on the intake. and must be moderatly easy to install.

and whats that blue stuff on what i think is the radiator fluid cap?
and i have seen some peopel that have taken off the black square that looks like the intake tube leads off from, is it just a covering and i can take it off and is there a tube to connect the intake to directly? like here: http://www.eautoworks.com/productima...847install.jpg

Final question: is it easy to remove and replace the rear tail lights?
lookin at something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...927746293&rd=1

Thanx allot for your help. i am currently at school an hour away from the truck and thats why all the weird questions, and i dont trust my dad with anything compplicated.

Old 10-13-2004, 11:47 PM
olsarge
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Need some basic help, new guy attempting stuff

The blue stuff is windshield washer fluid. The cap is to the windshield washer tank. You could take the lid of the aircleaner but you would end up bypassing the air filter if you did. DON'T! 360 intakez makes as good a C.A.I. as anyone and they are the most reasonably priced.

Old 10-14-2004, 02:18 AM
ccdoggy

thanks for the info. So i wont take apart the black box thingie.

good to know thats only windshield washer fluid.

How easy/hard is it to replace a tail light with the one i put a link to? just a unscrew and rescrew in job with some wiring?

Old 10-15-2004, 08:05 PM
kota98
Rookie

as far as the lights go it is probably just unscrew and swap lights about 1/2 hour project should be a very easy job only problems i would see is if your light sockets are corroded but that would be an easy fix also if you have a sight understanding on how anything works give it a shot or ask how easy a job is like your doing now you will learn something to help on future things as well good luck
hope this helps
Rick

Old 10-17-2004, 04:34 PM
ccdoggy

thnx for the reply.

I got home and found out that the big black box on top of the engine is just another tube and will remove it when the nre intake goes on.

Old 10-19-2004, 09:50 PM
CYCLONE_06
Veteran

Hey Man, get one of these, they are very reasonable, and sell like hot cakes. I plan on gettin one for my truck when I get some extra money.
Oh, and the "black box" is called an air hat just for future reference.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=38634

~CYCLONE_06

Old 10-19-2004, 11:44 PM
ccdoggy

THAT is exacltly what i ended up getting, from that guy also. great to know that i got the right thing.

what is the point of the "air hat"?

Old 10-20-2004, 01:32 AM
CYCLONE_06
Veteran

As I said in your pm, basically just sits on top of the throttly body and helps to prevent contaminents from entering the engine. Flows filtered air from the air intake box into the throttle body, then into the intake.

~CYCLONE_06

Quick Reply: Need some basic help, new guy attempting stuff