2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

oil pump relacement help or tips pls

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 03:18 PM
F1ashman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pump relacement help or tips pls

Hi all, time to replace the oil pump on my 5.2 2 WD auto Dak. Oil pressurestayed low upon startup after driving a while and lower than normal while driving today. No engine knocks. Babied her home for about 5 miles and put her on ramps for inspection. Used a stethoscope and appears that the pump is screaming with[sm=feedback.gif] intermittent cavitating at idle. 107,000 miles and been a great Dak so far. 2 WD with sport suspension and Gibson shorty headers.Do I have to raise the motor to remove the pan? Rather do the work myself since I am out of work. Anyone done the same mx on a like truck? Always great feedback on this forum. Thanx in advance!

Old 08-06-2007, 08:33 PM
mikec04
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: oil pump relacement help or tips pls

If you have low oil pressure and are going to drop the pan, might as well get a set of std. size main bearings and replace them, also. Will do wonders for the oil pressure. Might want to plasti-gauge them first, tho. I'm guessing that you screwed in a known accurate oil pressure gauge and had the required amount of oil in the engine?

Old 08-06-2007, 10:05 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: oil pump relacement help or tips pls

try this. http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/rearmain.php

Quick Reply: oil pump relacement help or tips pls