2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

water in tank?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007 | 05:18 PM
cynthiaprice
Default water in tank?

I have an '02 4.7 **** Cab with about 36K miles. Love it.

When I drove it on Sunday I could tell it was missing a bit so I determined to take it to the shop when I next had a chance, on Thursday or Friday. When I drove it on Monday just around town it seemed like it was in low gear and/or that the emergency brake was on -- as soon as I let off the gas it torqued down. I even pulled to the side, shut down and restarted in case something was stuck. No help. After another half-mile it started missing A LOT, like bucking almost, and the brake pedal didn't work right -- there was no give, the brakes were just right up top. That's when I decided to turn back for home. A good idea because about six blocks later gray smoke started coming out from the left front wheel well. That's when I pulled over and called AAA.

Never got any lights or messages. No change in guages. AAA guy said it smelled like transmission. Mechanic says there's nothing wrong mechanically and thinks there was water in the tank. Water in the tank would do all that?

Old 08-10-2007 | 11:33 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Default RE: water in tank?

ORIGINAL: cynthiaprice
AAA guy said it smelled like transmission. Mechanic says there's nothing wrong mechanically and thinks there was water in the tank. Water in the tank would do all that?
i think you might need a new mechanic. no, i don't think water in the tank would do all that, especially the gray smoke from the wheel well. could be a stuck brake. water in the tank would just make it skip and stutter and maybe not run at all.

Old 08-11-2007 | 12:37 AM
dapirate559
Professional
Default RE: water in tank?

ya its probably just something to do with the brakes.

Quick Reply: water in tank?