2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Been a while and got a new toy

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 02:55 PM
SrtHemi
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Been a while and got a new toy

Well it is official gang, I got a new toy And we are officially a Dodge family now.
Here is my new toy.

It is a 98 Dak w/the 3.9/Auto. The paint is shot but with me being a Body/Mech. It is very fixable. It will more than likly go back black but with silver stripe kit. (im to lazy to do a color change lol) I have been looking at all the up grades etc and i will be making a huge list this week. So you all will be able to see her grow along with me I will post pics as i go along. The first thing is to fix the rust on top around the sun roof. Which brings me to my first question;
I have looked every where for a new seal for the sun roof--im assuming it was leaking for all the silcon around it. I can tfind anything on here or ebay or the other stores...any idea where i can find one? (besides going thru dodge--i wanna try and some some money)

Old 08-26-2007, 04:32 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Been a while and got a new toy

these trucks never came from the factory with a sunroof. so it would be an aftermarket one.

soo..... what are your plans for it

Old 08-27-2007, 12:06 AM
SrtHemi
Veteran

Dang, i was afraid of that..lol well i gotta figure how to fix that but so far i have a tune up in store this weekend. The long haul Its gotta be lower, tinited front lights and tail lights, get rid of the bed rails, and liner, and throw in a roll in liner, roll pan in the back, bigger front sway bar, (im thinkin R/T sway bar) oh im gonna have to redo the tint, inside i need new seats, CD player (the tape deck gotta go..lol) well thats all i got on the list right now, im thinking about trying to build a custom box for it but that will be toward the end of the build cause i dont know if and how long it will take to get done lol.
Now as far as paint im leaning toward going back gloss black but for a little while i thought mabe the matte black look..kinda like an old hot rod but the wife doesnt like that idea...im still entertaining the thought though..lol.
As far as running gear that will also be toward the end cause i am throwing a few ideas around. I will more than likley keep the 3.9 and mabe do the normal mods like headers exhaust and CAI, etc.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:42 AM
dapirate559
Professional

sounds good bro. does the sunroof look factory maybe you couls measure it and also check out and see if maybe you could use a different seal from another car. just a thought. i would go with the matte black it looks nice on any car. you should also see about the red stripe that would look nice. as far as the roll on bedliner goes be real careful with it. it gets everywhere. i have done it on a few vehicles and it got a little messy(it was on a friends truck). i went with the linex on my truck and it looks awesome. well good luck with the rebuild and keep us updated bro.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:33 AM
5 speed
Professional

maybe do a 2 tone silver on top black on the bottom? lower with some better wheels, nothing tooo big though i think 20's or bigger look retarded but thats just me

Old 09-02-2007, 03:03 PM
SrtHemi
Veteran

Well I think im gonna take 5 Speeds advice and do a 2 tone job except i am thinking black on top (about where the red pin stripe starts) and silver on the bottom and replace the red stripes with black ones and do a black Dakota Sport decal. Could change between now and then but thats what im thinking right now. Anywho, this weekend i did a little work, Friday i did a tune up, got that nasty Pennzoil out and put in Castrol, (wouldve rather had Vavoline but Castrol was on sale and thats my second choice) and also got that stupid Fram filter off. Also put NGK plugs in --someone had Bosch Plat. split plugs-(no wonder it ran like crap.) and replaced distributor cap and rotor button which looked waay way over due. Also i had a problem with the belt tensioner not tighting up all the way and slipping so i bought a new one and didnt need it cause after getting the belt off it was just stuck so after some wd and working it back and forth it seems to be ok right now. Filled er up with gas and some injector cleaner and she runs like a champ now. (hopefully with a little better gas milage.)
Now on to today...As you have read someone had put in a sunroof. And someone did a very crappy job. So i finally took the glass out and found out the whole system was broken (obviously someone didnt know what they was doing) and i didnt wanna spend all that money to make it work i decided to make it pernament. problem was that the seal didnt fit properly around it so it was getting water under the seal causeing the top to rust around it. So This is what i did,
Cleaned up all the clear silicon they had crammed around it...

Set the glass back in and used windsheild urethane and glued it back in.

Ground all the rust out around the seal and used fiberglass, blocked it down then spot putty then blocked that down,

sanded around my work with some 320 and taped her up.
Sprayed SEM highbuild primer around my work,

Took a very small amount of urethane and went around the seal,

Then topped it off with a little black so it wouldnt look so bad while im driving it around LOL...

Took it outside and sprayed all the dust off and it looks really nice, i will take some fine wet sandpaper when i sand the whole truck and sand down the urethane a little so it looks smoother than it is now. but thats all i got done today so next weekend it will be takling the other rust spots and dents
Oh and there was no leaks...

Old 09-02-2007, 03:56 PM
5 speed
Professional

cool keep us updated, looks like you have the ambition to really make that into a sweet truck!