2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Instrument cluster problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 08:25 PM
1st_time_dodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument cluster problem

The instument cluster on this truck acts fine on first start-up.The ABS and brake light are on.After about 10 seconds the srs light comes on and the chime dings.About a minute later all the other gauges quit working. The odometer flashes at the same time as the srs light comes on. If you roll the ignition switch forward all the gauges start working again. After 10 seconds the gauges all start to go dead again. I tried a new ignition switch, checked all the fuses, and checked the connectors on the back of the instrument cluster. The truck will run and drive, however, then this conditions exists, the radiator fan does not come on. We believe this lead to the head gakset blowing.

Any idea what is going on with this truck? I purchased it from my nephew because it needed a head job. Turned out to be just a head gasket. Had no problems for about 4 weeks, then this.

I already have about $1000 in it with the headgasket and other items that needed replacing. I hate to think that I have a basket case and shudder at the thought of taking to an electric shop.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:22 AM
5 speed
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Instrument cluster problem

could be the PCM, id check the codes first and go from there

Old 08-29-2007, 02:50 PM
yellowjacket99
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you start the truck and the brake light and ABS light doesn't turn off then you need to replace the RWAL speed sensor. I'm not sure it would cause all the other issues though.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:43 PM
1st_time_dodge

No codes. Computer is good. Already did a swap with an identical truck without this problem.

The SRS and ABS lights come on when the gauges fall to zero and the odometer blinks.

We drove the truck for 4 weeks before all this started. Our daughter's car broke down and we let her drive it until we fixed her car. Personally, I think she scared the truck.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:53 PM
MAS1866
Default Late Post

I know this post is alot later than the rest of the thread, but for others looking for help... With the SRS light flashing intermittently, I would worry about shorted airbag wiring, or poor grounds. The airbags are troubling because a person wouldn't want them to go off at an inopportune time. This is something I would take to the dealership before driving much farther without being able to diy it due to the danger of the airbags going off.

Quick Reply: Instrument cluster problem