2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Electric rad fan problems anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 10:40 PM
cohenih
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric rad fan problems anyone?

The electric rad fan on my 2000 Dakota started to stay on continuously, even after shutting off the truck. My mechanic identified the problem not as a bad temp sensor as I suspected, but a failure of the rad fam relay, located in the main wiring/relay/fuse block under the hood. The relay itself shows sign of overheating, and the housing below it is a bit charred and cracked. They suspected the rad fan was defective, drawing too much power and burning out the relay. On ordering the replacement part (relay), the dealership supplied a relay about twice the size, with a bolt hole tab on the top, with directions to bolt it to a wall, cut the wires for the original position from the bottom of the wiring block, and connect to this higher rated relay.

Anyone else experienced this? Looks like a potential fire hazard to me, and, if there are lots of others who have experienced this (as evidenced by the replacement part) perhaps this should be a Manufacturer Recall...... Let me know guys and gals.... thanks

Seems to be a TSB on it, Bulletin 1800102 seems to cover it, but can't find details anywhere.....

Old 09-02-2007, 08:30 PM
craig4465
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Electric rad fan problems anyone?

same problem with mine . previous owner unplugged the fan , but i would like to fix it. what did it cost? part number?

Old 09-03-2007, 06:54 PM
DakinUK
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Electric rad fan problems anyone?

I had the same problem. It looked like all the relays under that cover were the same so I took the one for the Fog-Lights and put it in the slot for the fan. Keep meaning to replace it! I wouldn't replace it with anything other than the original size as these things get quite a hard life and are bound to fail sometime. If the replacement packs up soon, then I'll get it looked at but if it last a few years then I'd just call it a consumable item.

Quick Reply: Electric rad fan problems anyone?