2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

why won't it stop!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 07:35 PM
Chris
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: why won't it stop!?

No problemo.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:53 PM
highpriestess420

no clue wtf a 180 thermostat is

Last edited by highpriestess420; 08-28-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:58 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

Well, that might be your problem. You need to be running a mixture of water and coolant (some come pre-mixed so read the bottle carefully) You will need to flush out your wholoe coolant system and replace it with proper coolant if you want your truck to run right. Also, read thermostat: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermostat#Mechanical

Old 09-05-2007, 08:15 PM
snikr

And if you are going to flush your coolant system it's a VERY good time to change the thermostat. At least that's what I do. The 180 is refering to the degrees the stat opens. And mine will make a bubbling noise when I shut it off and I've been ruining the A/C. The A/Cwas making the noise on my last two Dakota's.

Tom

Old 09-07-2007, 10:21 PM
SrtHemi
Veteran

My truck has been doing the same thing except it doesnt overheat. It does bubble sometimes also i have noticed that i have an antifreeze smell coming from the engine compartment. No leaks so i am thinking it is coming from the thermostat area and just sitting on the top of the engine boiling off. If i am right it isnt a big leak at all, any way i am gonna replace the thrmo with a 180 and i will probally use the paper gasket and instead of RTV glue im gonna use windshield urethane. That way i know it wont leak .

Old 09-08-2007, 01:55 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We had a ricer come into our shop, that never put coolent in his car, he just put straight tap water.. rusted everything out and the engine was worthless.

I would flush that engine as fast as possible and get some coolent in it, replace the thermo (only cost like 5$) and buy a gallon on coolent and keep it in your truck or garage. Also the res tank is NOT suppost to be filled up all the way. Its a recirculating system, and runs under pressure about 15psi, the res tank fills with coolent and then drops as the thermo opens and closes. If its empty fill it half way not to the cap. otherwise when you do turn off the truck it will overflow and cause a big mess and the bubbling noise as its more then likely spilling on the exhuast manifolds or something hot.

Old 09-08-2007, 03:09 AM
98whitekota
Rookie

well i had the same thing happen and i came to find out that it was the heater core, or is it heater coil? regardless also when it happen to me i had like a vapor or smoke come out of my a/c vents when it was on. this happen to u?

Quick Reply: why won't it stop!?