2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Air Conditioner turns off when truck isn't moving

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 11:40 PM
Rezolution
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Conditioner turns off when truck isn't moving

Just got my window all fixed up and now I gota new problem.

I had to have my A/C clutch replaced about 4 months ago because it was making crazy noises. I asked to have the whole compressor replaced but they said they could just put in a "clutch kit". Well 4 months later, the seals went bad and all the 134a leaked out...

Dodge wanted $700 for a new compressor so I found a rebuilt one on ebay for $150. The guy on ebay said that he only gives warrantys if you buy a new orifice tube and dryer/accumulator. I bought all the crap for about $220 and a local dealer installed it for $199. After about 1 day of it working well, the dryer/accumulator started making LOUDgurgling noises every time the A/C compressor would turn on or off.

Now for the interesting part... Now, the A/C works ok when the truck is moving, but when I come to a stop, the compressor turns off (followed by loud gurgling noises)!!! While I'm driving, it works great, but whenever I come to a stop, the compressor will turn on and off (about every 10 to 20 seconds) until i start moving again. What's the deal!?!?!?!?

Old 09-09-2007, 11:43 PM
Rezolution
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Air Conditioner turns off when truck isn't moving

If anyone was curious what was causing this, it was a bad electric fan. Apparently there are two fans in my engine compartment. One of them is mechanical and the other is electrical. Since this fanwas bad, when the truck wasn't moving, there was nothing to cool down the condenser and radiator so the A/C sytem was 'overheating' when I was not moving, which causes pressure to build up in the A/C sytem, which causes it to shut down.

Quick Reply: Air Conditioner turns off when truck isn't moving