2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Tie rod replacement and torsion

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 05:04 PM
missedapeach
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tie rod replacement and torsion

98 Dakota 4x4 5.2 with 3" body liftwith 32x11.50x15
Do the threads that show at the end of the tie rod, where the inner meets theouter,have to be thesame on both sides? (yea I'm a female).
Passenger sideshows 12 threads and driver side shows about 22 ? Imessed with the torsion bar, not measuring the distance ofwheel well first and I feel like there is pressure on the front end and I'm having to replace front end parts after doing so a year ago.I just want the height to beat a position that doesn't tear up the front end again.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:10 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker
Default RE: Tie rod replacement and torsion

take it to a allignment shop

Old 10-08-2007, 10:11 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Its nice to know there are girls who love trucks as much as us guys do. No they dont have to be the same as the other side. The best way is to get an anliment they can tell true parallel and levelness of everything. Ya some shops will do it for a high price but shop around and everyshop should produce a reading before and after the readings. just ask first. or if you wanted get a level and make sure you have the truck where the ground is level too. and adjust untill its good.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:15 PM
4x4kota
Veteran

ORIGINAL: missedapeach

98 Dakota 4x4 5.2 with 3" body liftwith 32x11.50x15
Do the threads that show at the end of the tie rod, where the inner meets theouter,have to be thesame on both sides? (yea I'm a female).
Passenger sideshows 12 threads and driver side shows about 22 ? Imessed with the torsion bar, not measuring the distance ofwheel well first and I feel like there is pressure on the front end and I'm having to replace front end parts after doing so a year ago.I just want the height to beat a position that doesn't tear up the front end again.
No the threads do not have to be the same on both sides. The part that I would worry about is that after messing with the torsion bar you need to get an alignment. Also if the torsion bars are cranked up, considering you have a 3" lift, you may want to set them back down again. This will give you a better ride, and it will be easier on your front end. If you have the torsions cranked to much you will have to be replacing parts.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:33 AM
missedapeach

The funny part is that it was a male friend who messed it up (never opened the book),and now I'm (a Female) fixing it. Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:45 AM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

go to firestone, get the life time alignment, its a bit more around $130 but you will save in the long run geting it aligned every year...

Quick Reply: Tie rod replacement and torsion