2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Transmission problems, '99, 42RE

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 02:05 PM
TomsDakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission problems, '99, 42RE

Hello, the truck in question is a '99 3.9, with the 42re. The pump seal was leaking for awhile, so decided to pull it out and swap out the seal. As I was changing the seal, it was of course getting a fluid flush and filter change, and I adjusted the front and rear bands as well. I followed the specifications per the repair manual.

After reassembling I took it for a test drive, and noticed a couple issues. For one, it won't downshift back to first gear under wide open throttle. If you manually put it in 1st it'll go, but it won't kick itself down under throttle. Second issue is early shifting in first gear. It is shifting to 2nd at about 3500 RPMS, around 25 MPH, where before hand it was around 33-35 MPH if I remember correcly. Also, it won'tkickdown to 2nd unless you're under about 32 MPH.

It is not throwing any lights on on the dash, and even so I had it code checked at Auto Zone and nothing came up there.

The TV cable is adjusted perfectly according to specifications, and nothing is binding or any noticable obvious problem. The fluid level is also fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:14 PM
varsis
Record Breaker
Default RE: Transmission problems, '99, 42RE

Has to be tv cable. It should be shifting otherwise. Maybe you didn't adjust the bands properly. They are hard to do.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:30 PM
TomsDakota
Default RE: Transmission problems, '99, 42RE

Well I tinkered with the TV cable a bit, and it did change the upshift RPM's, but it didn't effect downshifting in any way. I ended up putting it back to the same adjustment it was at from the factory, which is where it shows in the book.

I could believe you about the bands possibly being wrong. I really don't know what all they control myself though. I've been trying to find information out online which has been hard to do, and all I've seen is that they control slippage/ shift overlap and such.

Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: Transmission problems, '99, 42RE