2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

ram air hood

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 08:08 PM
skeeter0288
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ram air hood

anyone here using a functional ram air hood? if so,what keeps water from getting in and affecting electrical connections and /or sensors?

Old 10-30-2007, 09:06 PM
bigbaddurango
Professional
Default RE: ram air hood

I have a ram air hood with the scoops cut out and have no problem no diffrent then hitting a puddle and water comeing up from below

Old 10-30-2007, 11:34 PM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a ram air hood on mine, suncoast makes them, they have spunges inside of the hood that soaks up water, and they force the air into a small hole going directly into the stock airbox, i took out my stock airbox and put in a bruteforce CAI, the hole on the hood goes over the intake, so it still gets air to it, its just not sealed.. going about 70+ the hood would seem to work fine, but anything slower then that its just like a normal intake, maybe a few degrees cooler, and it def does not create any type of psi.. since thats kinda whats ram air is, forces air into the intake... it looks good though check my sig.

edit: my bad i forgot i dont have a sig here.

check my gallery... then you can see it.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:41 AM
Chris
Record Breaker

User2006's hood does look good and is functional as well.

Old 11-04-2007, 02:09 PM
SinCity R/T
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In general the connectors & other items inside of your engine bay are relatively waterproof - they have to be, because water will splash up from below when you're driving in the rain. Generally speaking, issues usually only pop up if your distributor or air filter gets thoroughly waterlogged.

Each 'functional' ram air hood is designed a bit differently - depending upon the style of the openings, you may get some more dirt/water into the engine bay from daily driving, but that usually only results in needing to clean your engine bay more often. I've never heard of anyone having mechanical failures which were directly related to having a ram air hood. You'll have more issues with an improper air intake type than you will because of the hood itself.

Quick Reply: ram air hood