2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

power door lock problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 03:26 AM
threesixoh
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power door lock problems

ok, so my power door locks are working kinda funny. The driver side power lock acts like it's sticking, by this I mean when I use the power locks, the driver side will lock all the way fine, but wont unlock all the way. it works the same way when I use my remote as well. Also, the driver's side power lock makes a loud noise, kind of sounds like stripping gears or a burnt solenoid or something. Also, when I open my door with the truck running, the door will stay locked, potentially locking me out of my truck.

Anyone have any ideas what I need to fix to replace this? it's not a major problem, but it is an annoying one, esp. when you buddy locks the keys in the ignition with the truck running and you dont have a spare key on you.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 11-03-2007, 04:18 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: power door lock problems

ya, its the door lock actuator. my passenger side does it. it wont even unlock anymore. and it squeals like hell. I think they are about $150 from the dealer or somethin. Ijust dissabled my automatic locks so they dont lock everytime you take off.

Old 11-03-2007, 04:43 PM
threesixoh
Rookie

damn, those are pricey. Any chance it's just something like it being dirty or in need of lubrication?
[align=left] [/align]

Old 11-07-2007, 06:25 PM
paxmaster2000
Amateur

my manual door locks do the same thing on the driverside door. i can put the key in and it will unlock but fully . so if i leave my truck running and don't check the lock to see if it is unlocked all the way i will lock myself out. it seems to do it more when the lock is cold . once the truck has been unlocked a couple of times it will work just fine. i took my down to the dealer and they said nothing was wrong.
i even added aftermarket power locks and it will unlock and then quickly relock. it will do that a couple of times and then it is fine.
maybe it is in the latch itself ? it might need lub.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:17 PM
stantheman
Professional

When they start making that noise they are dead. Seen too many of them in the past that were doing that. Only thing to do is replace it.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:17 PM
threesixoh
Rookie

that's tragic. I dont have the 150 bucks to replace it
[align=left] [/align]

Old 11-08-2007, 04:35 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe try a junkyard. or if some one is parting out their truck. I've been looking for one for about 2 years now. with no luck. I just dont wanna pay the dealer that much for a lil part.

Quick Reply: power door lock problems