2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

TB Gasket 4 the millionth time

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 11:24 AM
DAK99OTA
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TB Gasket 4 the millionth time

I am getting ready to clean my throttle body on my '01 4.7and from reading other posts on the subject I have determined two things.
1- I need a new throttle body gasket in case existing is damaged during removal of TB, and 2 - I am not mechanically inclined enough to remove the throttle linkage.
My question is, when I go to Napa, Advance Auto, Local Dodge Dealer, etc...etc...they always tell me that there are 2 TB gaskets. One shaped like you'd expect, 4 x 4 square with 3" diameter hole in middle and 4 bolt holes. The other is shaped really funky , and is very skinny like a rubber band. Could somebody please advise me which one I will need. I don't want to get it disassembled, ruin the existing one, and have to order in the correct one since nodody seems to have either in stock. I have had the air hat off up to the TB and my guess is that I need the square one, however I would hate to be wrong and stuck without my truck until the new gasket comes in since both need to be ordered in. Thank You.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:16 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: TB Gasket 4 the millionth time

seriously don't worry about it unless you get ramming and are really rough with it you shouldn't damage the one thats on it and the throttle linkage is even easier at least on my 00 it was. I was kinda worried to that i'd mess something up but it turnout out to be really easy all you do is open up the throttle a little and slip that off then the other two just slip off to, so i wouldn't worry about it. from what i remember it is a rubber type gasket so its up to you but i would say just take it off cuz chances are it will be fine. good luck

Old 11-16-2007, 12:33 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

very easy to do. you dont have to be careful when removing the tb, just becarful removing the linkage. also when you swap out the tb or remove it. the gasket normally stays in place. it is mounted to the intake , not the tb. plus they are cheap order both.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:36 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

heres a pic of the tb. you have three screws to remove. each corner of the tb. linkage on the left and two electrical connection. just make sure you have the correct torx driver to remove the screws

[IMG]local://upfiles/31284/3E521FF14EE44987AB3AD9F63707599A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-16-2007, 12:44 PM
DAK99OTA
Amateur

Thank you both for the advice, I was really worried I'd mess something up but it sounds as though if I take my time and am careful I should be in good shape. Thanks for the heads up on the torx driver, good point.
Thanks again.

Old 11-16-2007, 05:26 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no problem good luck and let us know how it goes

Old 11-17-2007, 09:19 PM
DAK99OTA
Amateur

Cleaned the TB today and you were right it was very easy, should have done it sooner. I didn't end up removing the throttle linkage, really didn't need to. I didn't need to replace the gasket either which is good since they gave me the wrong one[:@]
It used to idle a little rough after it was warmed up but now itidles really smooth. I also threw a K&N fuel injection performance kit on and itseems to have much better throttle response.
I still want to replace the plugs and o2 sensors but I will put them off a little longer because it gives me something to look forward too.
I want to thank everybody for there advice, it went really well.

Quick Reply: TB Gasket 4 the millionth time