2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

99 dakota having starting trouble

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 08:05 AM
burton 7218
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 dakota having starting trouble

hey guys hows it going.... I have a 1999 dodge dakota and ive been reading up about certain dakotas of a similar year having starting problems as well but this sounds different than most of them. A few days ago i was driving around and I stopped at astop sign and it cut out so i started it again and then it kept cutting out on me, this was wierd to me because i know the spark plugs are brand new and the idle hasnt been tampered with. Two days after that i was backing out of a driveway and (reverse is i touchy ger with my truck) it cut out adn when i tryed to start it the gages started moving and stuff and it didnt make but just the slightest sound. to get it home i jump started it and it wouldnt run on its own so i had to let it sit and i had to keep th rpms up so it didnt cut out then afteer a few minutes we took off the cables and i could let go of the gas pedal and it would run but he whole tme i was driving home the lights and gages flickered ...since then it hasnt run i have read on this forum cite in a few places about cleaning battery terminals and connectors and tapping on the starter? now when i try it the only gage that moves is the gas and it makes this clicking noise from within the starter case. if you put your foot on the brake it stop then continues (by clickin its not the engine it sounds electrical) if anyone knows anything about this problem please let me know thanks

Old 11-19-2007, 10:38 AM
spencea15
Record Breaker
Default RE: 99 dakota having starting trouble

I would recomend to have your battery tested at an auto parts store to start with. My truck had simaler problems when the battery was on its way out. Also these trucks from my expereince are hard to jump and keep running. I believe this is because the alternaiter can not run the electrical system it just charges the battery so you have to get the battery charged up enougth to run the truck.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:40 AM
varsis
Record Breaker

The ticking noise is not enough power to the battery. If your battery is fine it's probably your alternator. But get them both checked out if needed.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:05 PM
burton 7218

the battery is brand new and the clicking noise is only when i turn the key to the second click not when im trying to start it

Old 11-19-2007, 01:44 PM
Nicegy525
Veteran

have your alternator tested. It may not be charging the battery. you could have a bad connection somewhere. When you jump start it, cycle the ignition on and off three times. Your Odo should display "Pdone" then try to start it and see if it will idle.

Quick Reply: 99 dakota having starting trouble